In-state student status question (NOT tuition related)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

velodork

luctor et emergo
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was born and raised in Florida but I currently live in CA where I've been for the past ~10 years. I am driven to move back to Florida for Med School so that I can be closer to my family for support, but feel a bit discouraged by how much FL schools seem to favor in-state students.

1. Would an ad-com consider my history and "roots" in Florida as favorable against other out of state applicants?

2. Is there an ideal place in the application to include the information regarding my history in Florida?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. It would probably help. How much? It will vary.
2. Ummm if I'm recalling it right your best opportunity will probably be in secondaries.

1) Didn't apply to any FL schools myself, but I would imagine so.
2) Most secondaries have a section titled something along the lines of "Is there anything else you/d like to tell us?" so there's your opportunity to explain your Florida roots.

Reactions: 1 user
It seems like it is definitely dependent on the school, but I was in a very similar situation to you (the public school in the state I had grown up in had <10 OOS students matriculate last year), and I didn't expect much since my stats are average, but I applied anyway. I was interviewed by this school in December and accepted a few weeks ago. Basically in the secondary they allowed you to write an additional optional letter, something along the lines of "Do you have anything else you want to tell the admissions committee", where I talked about my ties to the state. In my case I believed my ties definitely separated me from the thousands of other OOS, and while this wasn't Florida I think you have nothing to lose by applying.

Reactions: 1 user