in-state vs out-of-state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sjohn106

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I get into an out of state school I REALLY wanted to go to. One of my top choices by far. I have to make a decision on whether or not I am going there by this weekend. I pretty much had decided that was where I was going until this afternoon when I received a phone call from an in-state school that I was wait-listed for. This is a very good school as well, but I've had my heart set on getting out of the state and getting to live somewhere I've wanted to live for a while at a good school with great facilities, and an excellent reputation (the other school has an excellent rep as well). I'm having a hard time deciding, and I have to give a decision on the in-state school TOMORROW, so they can pass the offer along if I don't want it. It basically comes down to money holding me back from going with my original choice.

Any advice or opinions would be a great help! I didn't put the names of the schools in the message to avoid any personal bias towards the locations & programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I am kind of the same boat. I have the chance of going to SMU that is only 20 min away from my house, or to UCONN, USC, or Miami. I immediately crossed off USC for expense reasons, and I already declined SMU because I wanted to go out of state. I decided on going out of state because I definitely would feel much happier going to a new place. Tuition wise they are all about the same. DPT school is going to be hard, and few people get burnt out from it. So if going out of state is going to make you happy, then do it. Another reason why I didn't go to SMU is that they didn't have a rec center. I know it sounds ridiculous, but the rec center allowed me to avoid being overstressed/burnt out in undergrad. Besides, my PT friend said that most employers really don't care where you graduated from, just that you have a license. I know moving across the country is going to be a great experience for me. That's my 2 cents.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I've had half of the folks around me say that, the other half say save your money. After my first year at the out-of-state school I should be able to get in-state, but thats never a definite, ya know? Ugh, I don't know what to do. I totally understand you on the Rec facility situation, my undergrad school had an AWESOME facility, brand new, huge. The out-of-state school has a center almost just like it...when I went to interview at the in-state school people I knew from undergrad kept telling me how this facility didn't hold a candle to the one we had. Granted, it's not worth the money I'll pay out-of-state...it is really important to me. The location of the out-of-state school is in an environment that would really help decrease my stress level...i just keep hearing my folks in the back of my head telling me I'm being an idiot.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is it about the out-of-state environment that is going to decrease your stress level?

I have lived in different areas throughout my life and I have found that various places aren't really that different once the "new" wears off. You still have folks who are friendly and folks who are not. You will still narrow your extracurriculars to the things you like to do, and forget about the rest. In the end, it will be virtually the same...unless you are moving to a completely different climate or going from a small town to a major metro. But then you will face stresses of trying to get around a major metro and the hassles that involves. So bottom line, you likely will not eliminate stressors but will just trade the ones you have for others.

One of the biggest issues I looked at in thinking about this topic is the feeling of "home". I am familiar with my state in any direction I go. I am familiar with people here. That brings a certain comfort to me. That's important to me.

If you really want to go and you are okay with spending much more money for the same degree....then by all means, spread your wings and fly. Just realize that there are no utopias.

Go out of state......you'll never get another chance and you'll probably regret not going.......I've seen to many students come to the clinic I work part time in that say they are unhappy with the school they chose and wished they would have went away......

Last edited:
I agree with johncronejr here. Moving away to a new location is many times overrated. It actually could have a negative impact due to moving away from a support structure. A common problem is getting home sick. So maybe it's best to get the whole "need to get away" thing over with prior to school. Most the time it is just a phase. Most people end up moving back to around the area they grew up anyway. I know I waited and I believe it paid off. My intentions are to look at schools nearby close to family. Everyone is different and in different stages of their lives though.

Both In-State and Out of State Have there advantages and disadvantages. I lived in New Jersey but chose to go to Syracuse University in Upstate New York. The cost was nearly twice as much but I had decent enough grades to have financial aid cover most of it. The one thing I really didn't expect was how much I would have missed my family. When you're away that support family support system is crucial, so you have to make up for it by creating tight knit friendships and getting involved in social activities. I saw many out of state students get really depressed and ended up leaving school for other schools closer to home. But another advantage of being out of state is the room to grow independently of your parents smothering. If you can handle that I say go for it. As long as you have some sort of support system. Go back home for holidays, make sure at home friends and your relatives visit. Weigh your options and make the decision that's right for you. Good luck.

If you really want to go out of state, then do it if you think you can do it financially. Yes, many people find themselves homesick when making such a big move, but others have no problem. I grew up in TX and went to ND in IN to college. I never got homesick. Most of my friends didn't experience that either. Probably because living away from home was what we really wanted from our college experiences. My group of friends became another form of family and each others support systems when we had problems. But we also still had our friends and family members elsewhere that were just a phone call away.

Funny thing though was I had friends that stayed in-state and went to schools that were only 2-3 hours away from home and got very homesick.

Like someone said earlier, everybody is different. Figure out what you want your PT experience to be and go from there.