In the case that the "weaknesses" question comes up.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dota 2 Player

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN!

I have been thinking about how to answer some of the common interview questions, and I ran into a dilemma when thinking about questions along the lines of "list off some weaknesses."

So my impression of the internet's approach is that people should list off weaknesses that they can spin as positives. However, in my opinion I don't feel that is answering the question, and would feel dishonest if I framed my answer that way. This isn't meant as a slight to people who use this strategy, it is just my personal view.
How I would think to approach this question would be to answer a weakness, and describe actions you have taken to improve in said area, without trying to frame it as a positive.
The issue is if I am interviewing, and people that are being compared against me are answering this question in the first form where they spin weaknesses as positives, I would worry that my way of answering would effectively be shooting myself in the foot.

I was curious to hear more people's opinion on how I should approach this question. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey SDN!

I have been thinking about how to answer some of the common interview questions, and I ran into a dilemma when thinking about questions along the lines of "list off some weaknesses."

So my impression of the internet's approach is that people should list off weaknesses that they can spin as positives. However, in my opinion I don't feel that is answering the question, and would feel dishonest if I framed my answer that way. This isn't meant as a slight to people who use this strategy, it is just my personal view.
How I would think to approach this question would be to answer a weakness, and describe actions you have taken to improve in said area, without trying to frame it as a positive.
The issue is if I am interviewing, and people that are being compared against me are answering this question in the first form where they spin weaknesses as positives, I would worry that my way of answering would effectively be shooting myself in the foot.

I was curious to hear more people's opinion on how I should approach this question. Thanks!
You don’t need to spin it as a positive, but you do need to show self awareness and an ability to think critically about short comings in your personality/character/whatever and then briefly talk about how you’re working on it like you said. The best answers are things that are actually weaknesses or things you struggle with but are working on.

Interviewers hate when they ask for a weakness and they get “I’m a perfectionist” or something that can be spun as a positive. It’s a weak answer and shows a lack of introspection or ability to self asses and course correct.

At the same time, don’t be self deprecating or give some outrageous weakness like your lack of ability to perform academically without adderall or complete inability to empathize with people from a different socioeconomic background. Big no-no.

Think critically about yourself and your weaknesses, and present it humbly but also in a way that shows you are aware of it and improving in that area.

Reactions: 2 users