In the midst of my first week of DS and maybe regretting it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thefoxsaid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'd love your thoughts, or maybe just your reassurance.

I have been looking forward to going to dental school for years. I have made many personal and financial sacrifices to get to this point. I also have met many great dentists through shadowing and have researched the profession thoroughly. I also did very well on my DAT.

I just started dental school, however. I was so excited to start, but now I already don't like it. I don't know if me not liking it at this point is a reflection of just dental school or might indicate that I should not be a dentist.

So far, our classes have been various dental anatomy and cell bio type of classes. I'm frustrated that they go really fast and the teachers are not good. The material also does not seem as interesting as I thought it would (or as bio did), but we are not talking about teeth yet or doing anything "practical"--just context so far.

I'm also put off by many of my fellow classmates who seem really immature and act like jerks. I had no idea it would be like this.
Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

What school do you go to?

Members don't see this ad :)
The first year isn't dental school. It's more like a masters in biology. Once you start the pure dental stuff in 2nd year and up you'll enjoy it more, and clinic is great.
But a lot of people feel that dental school is hell, which it is because your cramming 5 or 6 yrs into 4. You seem to have a lot of pre dental experience, if you enjoyed that just stick with it. It gets better. And you'll make friends for life.
As for the jerks... just give it time? You can't know that much about them since its only been a week.

Cheers mate

, but now I already don't like it.

classes have been various dental anatomy and cell bio type of classes. I'm frustrated that they go really fast and the teachers are not good. The material also does not seem as interesting as I thought it would (or as bio did), but we are not talking about teeth yet or doing anything "practical"--just context so far.

I'm also put off by many of my fellow classmates who seem really immature and act like jerks.
QUOTE]

Welcome to the first week of any dental school.
Hang in there! You will find your way!

Your concerns are legitimate but you shouldn't throw in the towel just yet. You'll find immature colleagues no matter what profession you enter and jerks are everywhere regardless of profession, location, etc. Understand that becoming a dentist can be a long and arduous process. Many students won't treat a patient until they're half-way done through dental school. You'll get there. You sound like a bright student and it's way too soon to call it quits.

The classes should get more interesting, hands-on and rewarding as you progress through dental school. Also, it is easy for a few jerks to make the whole group look bad. There are bound to be some nice people in your class, you just have to find them. Also, some schools do accept transfers between the second and third years of dental schools (some may do it at other times).

Hi everyone,
I'd love your thoughts, or maybe just your reassurance.

I have been looking forward to going to dental school for years. I have made many personal and financial sacrifices to get to this point. I also have met many great dentists through shadowing and have researched the profession thoroughly. I also did very well on my DAT.

I just started dental school, however. I was so excited to start, but now I already don't like it. I don't know if me not liking it at this point is a reflection of just dental school or might indicate that I should not be a dentist. hang in there. it can be overwhelming but remember that dental school is nothing like private practice.

So far, our classes have been various dental anatomy and cell bio type of classes. I'm frustrated that they go really fast and the teachers are not good. The material also does not seem as interesting as I thought it would (or as bio did), but we are not talking about teeth yet or doing anything "practical"--just context so far.

I'm also put off by many of my fellow classmates who seem really immature and act like jerks. I had no idea it would be like this.
Any thoughts?
first year is supposed to be full of basic science. second year does a 180 and you end up doing almost 100% dental coursework ("practical" stuff). i didn't think a lot of my professors were good teachers but a lot of people from a lot of different schools feel this way. as for your classmate, that sucks. there were a few classmates that were gunner type folk for the first couple of weeks before they started being team players like everyone else.

first week is supposed to feel rough. you'll adjust and soon the work load will feel normal just like how high school seemed incredibly easy after finishing college.

Last edited: