In what order do programs review applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gastrin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question has been bugging me.
Is it by alphabetical order (of the last name) or AAMC ID or the random order in which the applications have been downloaded?

Members don't see this ad.

We choose what order we look at applications. Can sort by anything we want -- Last name, Middle Name, AAMC number, Step 1 score -- or almost any combination. The default is alphabetically by name.

To build on that, should we read anything into one program offering an interview after another program? Or is it just random and program specific?

is it significant when a program we applied to offers interviews to other applicants before us? should we think these are people with higher scores, or something like that, or is this sort of random?

To build on that, should we read anything into one program offering an interview after another program? Or is it just random and program specific?

Stop reading anything into anything. Seriously. There are about 1000 different reasons why the scenario you outline could happen. And what useful information would you have if you knew the reason why?

is it significant when a program we applied to offers interviews to other applicants before us? should we think these are people with higher scores, or something like that, or is this sort of random?

Maybe they have better numbers.

Maybe they seem like a better 'fit' for the program.

Or maybe they have 10 people reviewing applications and just haven't gotten yours yet.

Relax. You still have several weeks of interview offers ahead of you.

Maybe they have better numbers.

Maybe they seem like a better 'fit' for the program.

Or maybe they have 10 people reviewing applications and just haven't gotten yours yet.

Relax. You still have several weeks of interview offers ahead of you.

I agree--I think it's very program dependent and would be hard to find out unless you actually have insider knowledge from that particular program. It could be that you're less competitive relatively or that they just haven't gotten to your application yet. However, if you're getting a later invite (e.g. November), you probably did get it because someone else canceled their interview--even then, I think it's specialty dependent since some places just offer interviews later.