Incoming student worried about weak research background

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subparman

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for reading.

I'm super excited to be starting med school this year, and ever since getting my acceptance I've been watching/reading all sorts of things on what to expect.
People say to take the few months before school starts off, and not prepare. However, I'm a little worried that my lack of research experience will set me back, especially considering that with step 1 becoming pass/fail it sounds like research will be more important when applying to residency.
I majored in sociology, but did the science prereqs early in my undergrad career and haven't been in a lab since. Took a class on survey research and statistics, but that's about it. I would feel SO beyond my depth in a wet lab or having to analyze data. Naturally I want to be an asset to those I work with rather than someone who needs constant checking up on.

What're your thoughts? Any resources/tips you recommend? Stories from your med school experiences also appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, thanks for reading.

I'm super excited to be starting med school this year, and ever since getting my acceptance I've been watching/reading all sorts of things on what to expect.
People say to take the few months before school starts off, and not prepare. However, I'm a little worried that my lack of research experience will set me back, especially considering that with step 1 becoming pass/fail it sounds like research will be more important when applying to residency.
I majored in sociology, but did the science prereqs early in my undergrad career and haven't been in a lab since. Took a class on survey research and statistics, but that's about it. I would feel SO beyond my depth in a wet lab or having to analyze data. Naturally I want to be an asset to those I work with rather than someone who needs constant checking up on.

What're your thoughts? Any resources/tips you recommend? Stories from your med school experiences also appreciated!

This worry is misplaced. Yes, Step 1 is P/F but that doesn't mean there will be an arms race for research productivity which is 90% BS anyways at the medical student level. I would agree with everyone telling you to enjoy but it would be disingenuous because when I was in your position I wouldn't have taken that advice so I will say the most high yield thing you can do now is figure out what field you want to do. Shadow/research. You may think you have an idea but people change their minds a lot. In terms of research, only very competitive fields (surgical subspecialties, derm, etc.) need actual publications. Most others can have a solid application with just a few pieces of scholarly work. Publications in other fields will definitely set you apart but aren't necessary. If you really want to feel productive and are gunning for a research heavy field download R and learn the software. Being able to do your own stats is very valuable in research. Don't worry about running through the course syllabus as you don't know how to study it or what to focus on.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
Research means you reach out to faculty for work. As long as you do what they want, you are good. You don’t need any previous experience. For instance, I didn’t have any research before. Now by the end of year 1, I have got several first author publications. You just need to hustle.

Reactions: 1 user