Incomplete Coursework when applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bob Debilder

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen, DO school applications seem to be due around March/April if I'm not mistaken.

All things considered, if I'm thinking of applying 2018 (not this upcoming cycle, the one after that) and I anticipate having all of my coursework done except for 1 class (Organic III - I'm at a Quarter school) by the time apps are due; can I apply in March/April 2018 with that 1 class missing, and take care of that class over the Summer after having submitted my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Medical school admits on rolling basis and applying in march/April is way way way too late. The course requirements are usually due before matriculation, not application.

Reactions: 1 user
Medical school admits on rolling basis and applying in march/April is way way way too late. The course requirements are usually due before matriculation, not application.

Ahh, there is clearly a lot I don't know. When is the actual ideal time frame to be applying to DO schools? And in respect to that, by what time-period do you want to have a good MCAT score to put on the app?

Also, when does the first year of DO school usually start? Would taking a missing course in a summer session from July to August 1 be too late?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh, there is clearly a lot I don't know. When is the actual ideal time frame to be applying to DO schools? And in respect to that, by what time-period do you want to have a good MCAT score to put on the app?

Also, when does the first year of DO school usually start? Would taking a missing course in a summer session from July to August 1 be too late?
The ideal time is to apply when the application cycle opens, which is in May (applying for next year's start). You will need a MCAT score for schools to review your application, so you'll need one before you complete your secondary application, otherwise schools usually won't mark you as complete and won't queue your file for review.
First year medical school usually starts in Aug, so it's too late to take your last class in July-aug 1, because you will need a final mark in that class before orientation starts. I'd recommend doing it in the Jan to April semester. I guess it's possible to do it in the May-June summer semester but that would be cutting it too close for my personal comfort.

The ideal time is to apply when the application cycle opens, which is in May (applying for next year's start). You will need a MCAT score for schools to review your application, so you'll need one before you complete your secondary application, otherwise schools usually won't mark you as complete and won't queue your file for review.
First year medical school usually starts in Aug, so it's too late to take your last class in July-aug 1, because you will need a final mark in that class before orientation starts. I'd recommend doing it in the Jan to April semester. I guess it's possible to do it in the May-June summer semester but that would be cutting it too close for my personal comfort.

Wait so if I were to apply this coming May (2017), it would be in order to start Med School that same year right (August 2017)? And based off of that, I need a workable MCAT score before May, and completed coursework before August? Is that right? Also what's the whole thing about a secondary application?

And one last question, how many volunteering/shadowing hours are considered average and what would be the deadline on finishing those; the original May application?

google is your best friend for the questions you're asking. please refer to the official aacom website and peruse the links below. you'll receive much more information, and from an official source at that.

http://www.aacom.org/become-a-doctor/applying

Reactions: 1 users
You apply May 2017 to hopefully matriculate/start in August 2018. Like the above poster said Google is your pal

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, thank you for your help everyone. I have one last question; if I apply in May 2018 to hopefully start school in August 2019, by when would I absolutely HAVE TO finish my last organic chemistry class?

I am leaning towards taking it in summer school, which for UC's runs from June 24 to August 1. Would it be cutting it too close if I took that class in the summer of 2019?

Ok, thank you for your help everyone. I have one last question; if I apply in May 2018 to hopefully start school in August 2019, by when would I absolutely HAVE TO finish my last organic chemistry class?

I am leaning towards taking it in summer school, which for UC's runs from June 24 to August 1. Would it be cutting it too close if I took that class in the summer of 2019?
you can have to finish all your course requirements before you matriculate in August 2019. So by May would be the best time to be done with all classes