Incomplete Grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wh0oyen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me how an Incomplete grade is viewed by medical school admissions committees? I have a 3.7 gpa overall in a humanities major, and a 3.9 science major. Do you think one incomplete grade will be frowned upon?

Members don't see this ad.

Please move this to pre-allo.

Can someone tell me how an Incomplete grade is viewed by medical school admissions committees? I have a 3.7 gpa overall in a humanities major, and a 3.9 science major. Do you think one incomplete grade will be frowned upon?

AMCAS counts incomplete grades as Fs. So, your GPA is going to tank a bit.

It's not going to be a deal breaker, but be prepared to explain the situation in your interview.

"I was busy beating a video game." === Bad answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
AMCAS counts incomplete grades as Fs. So, your GPA is going to tank a bit.

Not true. "If the Incomplete is unresolved, no AMCAS grade will be assigned; however, if the Incomplete is resolved, an AMCAS grade must be assigned." (AMCAS 2008 Instruction Manual, p. 50).

And from personal experience... I had two incompletes on my transcript and AMCAS did not count them toward my GPA.

OP, be ready to explain why the course wasn't completed. I'm convinced my two incompletes (and subsequently an incomplete graduate degree) did not harm my chances because I had a compelling reason and laid it out for the adcom in one of my secondary essays. It did not come up during my interviews.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user

While a specific grade of Incomplete may not be counted towards your overall uGPA in terms of AMCAS, most medical schools are not going to consider you until you resolve your Incomplete status. At many undergraduate institutions, those Incompletes become "Fs" unless the work is completed within a specified period of time (or unless you pay a fee to keep them as Incomplete). In any event, your best course of action is to resolve them so that when you apply, your application is complete.

My experience: I have an "incomplete" status on one of my grades, a C in a required lab class I took my graduating semester. I got 2 hours credit for it just the same, walked, got my diploma, earned my degree. I didn't know it was marked incomplete until I ordered my transcript for AMCAS. The grade of C was counted in my GPA. It didn't come up in my interviews so far, though I don't know if it has affected the schools which I haven't heard from. I have 2 rejections: Wake Forest pre-secondary and Mayo post-secondary. I have 2 acceptances: Miami & Miami @ FAU.

Not true. "If the Incomplete is unresolved, no AMCAS grade will be assigned; however, if the Incomplete is resolved, an AMCAS grade must be assigned." (AMCAS 2008 Instruction Manual, p. 50).

And from personal experience... I had two incompletes on my transcript and AMCAS did not count them toward my GPA.

OP, be ready to explain why the course wasn't completed. I'm convinced my two incompletes (and subsequently an incomplete graduate degree) did not harm my chances because I had a compelling reason and laid it out for the adcom in one of my secondary essays. It did not come up during my interviews.

Best of luck!

Here is the entire passage from http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2008amcasinstructionsrvs.pdf:

Incomplete
A course is considered incomplete if the work required for it was not completed within the appropriate time limit. If the Incomplete is unresolved, no AMCAS grade will be assigned; however, if the Incomplete is resolved, an AMCAS grade must be assigned. Select Incomplete even if:
• A grade has been ultimately assigned, or
• There is no notation indicating incomplete on the official transcript.
Many schools will assign an "IF" or "F" grade if the coursework is not completed within a given time limit. If attempted credit hours are listed on the official transcript or can be determined by AMCAS, this "F" will be included in your AMCAS GPA.

I have no idea what the difference is between a resolved and unresolved Incomplete. But, I do know that in general Incomplete = F on AMCAS. It happened to me. I made countless calls to AMCAS, and even visited my old undergrad. Nothing could be done about it. And my incomplete was due to severe illness, and it was even exempted from my GPA by my school.

From that passage above it sounds like AMCAS is so strict that even if you go back and complete the course, you still get an F for the original incomplete.

My experience: I have an "incomplete" status on one of my grades, a C in a required lab class I took my graduating semester. I got 2 hours credit for it just the same, walked, got my diploma, earned my degree. I didn't know it was marked incomplete until I ordered my transcript for AMCAS. The grade of C was counted in my GPA. It didn't come up in my interviews so far, though I don't know if it has affected the schools which I haven't heard from. I have 2 rejections: Wake Forest pre-secondary and Mayo post-secondary. I have 2 acceptances: Miami & Miami @ FAU.

What is likely to happen is that the school that you finally attend will ask for a final transcript before you start classes. One student at my school wound up with an F in second semester Organic Chemistry (had previously been an Incomplete) which showed up on his final transcript. His acceptance was rescended and a very lucky student took his place during orientation. His acceptance was contingent upon completion of any outstanding coursework which he did not complete.

Best course of action: Resolve any Incompletes as soon as you can and request unofficial transcripts at the end of every semester.

Strange that we had such different results. I had two incompletes, they were listed at "I" on my transcript from the school, and AMCAS did not include those courses in my GPA calc.

Apparently AMCAS likes you. Wanna trade? :D

What is likely to happen is that the school that you finally attend will ask for a final transcript before you start classes. One student at my school wound up with an F in second semester Organic Chemistry (had previously been an Incomplete) which showed up on his final transcript. His acceptance was rescended and a very lucky student took his place during orientation. His acceptance was contingent upon completion of any outstanding coursework which he did not complete.

Best course of action: Resolve any Incompletes as soon as you can and request unofficial transcripts at the end of every semester.

Interesting. Since I am a non-trad, I graduated 5 years ago. Since it was a lab class and I'm out of state, I don't know how this will plan out. I was really surprised to see the "I" on the transcript, as they did not withold graduation, etc. I guess I will have to contact my alma mater and find out. The class and hours were required, so the credit definitely counted for them. It was marked on my AMCAS as it was on my transcript, so med schools are not getting any misinformation.