Increasing Competition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Startingover123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Not sure if you heard but step one is going to be pass/fail. This will pretty make any speciality difficult to match for DO. I wonder if people will start looking towards applying to pod school since pod gives you an opportunity for clinic and surgery. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

The DPM I shadowed a while ago mentioned DO/Pod are interchangeable depending on what you want to do, but going for an MD is ALWAYS better if you have the stats. At this point I'd definitely agree with her, I feel sorry for incoming DO/MD students having to be the guinea pigs in this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi All,

Not sure if you heard but step one is going to be pass/fail. This will pretty make any speciality difficult to match for DO. I wonder if people will start looking towards applying to pod school since pod gives you an opportunity for clinic and surgery. Thoughts?

It's too early to predict anything at the moment since the said changes would take place from 2022 and on. However, If I were a pre-med at the moment and wanted to attend medical school and if my stats were fine for a DO school but almost good enough for MD, then I would take a year off (do an SMP or something) and apply to MD schools, only.

If these changes would affect our field is yet to be seen but I doubt it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The DPM I shadowed a while ago mentioned DO/Pod are interchangeable depending on what you want to do, but going for an MD is ALWAYS better if you have the stats. At this point that's I'd definitely agree with her, I feel sorry for incoming DO/MD students having to be the guinea pigs in this.

I still feel DO>DPM generally. It's only DPM>DO for a shot of being surgically trained, but even with IM you can fellowship into something cool and procedural. My prediction is that it will totally screw Caribbean Grads. We may catch some people who are considering that option and realize that podiatry is a safer bet.

This could benefit pods in the long run as the APMA increases the pressure to move us towards taking the USMLE in their noble quest for parity.

It'll be interesting to watch this unfold.

Reactions: 3 users
I still feel DO>DPM generally. It's only DPM>DO for a shot of being surgically trained, but even with IM you can fellowship into something cool and procedural. My prediction is that it will totally screw Caribbean Grads. We may catch some people who are considering that option and realize that podiatry is a safer bet.

This could benefit pods in the long run as the APMA increases the pressure to move us towards taking the USMLE in their noble quest for parity.

It'll be interesting to watch this unfold.
Pod is also gonna get a larger surge of Canadians too, as competition here is ridiculous. Considering most Canadians jump ship to the Carrib and a lot of Canadians do depend on having the US as an option for matching.

I personally believe this is a good thing for podiatry as the indirect effect of step 1 being P/F will make podiatry much more popular.

This is going to be really interesting. Why are they doing that? I have heard the rumors, but wouldn't think it will come so soon. But did they state the reason behind it?

1. Will it be a bad thing for DOs since now the biggest difference between MDs and DOs will be degree and not grades or USMLE score?

2. Will it be a good thing for DPMs since it is only pass/fail and DPM schools could transition to take USMLE?

3. Is there a minimum score or percentage one needs to get to pass?

This is going to be really interesting. Why are they doing that? I have heard the rumors, but wouldn't think it will come so soon. But did they state the reason behind it?

1. Will it be a bad thing for DOs since now the biggest difference between MDs and DOs will be degree and not grades or USMLE score?

2. Will it be a good thing for DPMs since it is only pass/fail and DPM schools could transition to take USMLE?

Yes DO students will be limited to primary care. I am told even IM at academic centers will be difficult to match. This whole thing benefits those who go to top tier med schools and can basically coast now into a competitive residency.

Reactions: 1 user
Pod is also gonna get a larger surge of Canadians too, as competition here is ridiculous. Considering most Canadians jump ship to the Carrib and a lot of Canadians do depend on having the US as an option for matching.

I personally believe this is a good thing for podiatry as the indirect effect of step 1 being P/F will make podiatry much more popular.
Interesting you think so? Pod isn’t a speciality in Canada right? I know it exists but I thought it was more allied health there.

Interesting you think so? Pod isn’t a speciality in Canada right? I know it exists but I thought it was more allied health there.
Pod as a specialty is dependant on the province you are in, as there was a change from the British (commonwealth) model to the US one for some provinces. I believe these Provinces are British Columbia, Alberta, Quebec, where you have full practices rights as a DPM.

Its obviously not going to be a drastically large jump in one shot, but I do expect that DPM would be a more viable option moving forward.

1. It might be a bad thing for DOs and IMGs/FMGs that relied on Step 1 score to match into competitive specialties. However, since Step 2 CK will still be scored, I believe this will be the new determining factor in addition to clinical grades and place of education.

2. This change might help the APMA to allow Pod students to sit for Step 1, but I think this decision will still depend on how the kids in Cali do on the CBSE. So, we'll just have to wait and see.

3. I didn't see a minimum passing % as of right now but they will update later this year. It might be similar to our part 1 where you have to score say 75% to pass.

These FAQs might help answer additional question anyone may have:

So you prefer an influx of pre-meds who have no idea wtf they're getting into regarding podiatric medicine but are only doing it for the doctor title?

Cause trust me I've seen how those students do currently....its not pretty.

So you prefer an influx of pre-meds who have no idea wtf they're getting into regarding podiatric medicine but are only doing it for the doctor title?

I'd expect people with a predilection for medicine and a basically useless, without more education, biology degree to research all their options. Now that Caribbean, which was an option, has become crazy risky, I'd expect more people to give podiatry at least a look over where they might not have before.

Reactions: 4 users
If they make the usmle pass/fail we should use that as our standard part 1 board exam. However, that means we will need a curriculum change to actually have a decent pass rate

As what @HarmonicConvergence said, that "influx of premeds" would be giving these Canadian Premeds a better shot/option than what we have going on.

Reactions: 1 user
If they make the usmle pass/fail we should use that as our standard part 1 board exam. However, that means we will need a curriculum change to actually have a decent pass rate

As far as I know, I know the schools are trying to transition to meet the criteria for us taking STEP 1 USMLE in the future by: Having each pod school be affiliated with a medical program (MD/DO) & by adding curriculum to compensate for what is missing (at our school it is OB/GYN & Embryology). This is what our school told us.

So they are just gonna try to squeeze that in somehow.

I do however want to comment that it is really STEP 2 that really determines your application for competitive specialties more than STEP 1 so maybe they are going to focus much more on STEP 2 being that factor. Very curious to see how this will affect podiatry, but I do believe the more applicants the better.

I think this whole thread is bizarre. I think it is crazy that you guys think pre-med guys/gals who want to be ortho/plastics/general surgeons/ trauma would just defer to becoming podiatrists because USMLE step 1 is pass/fail.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I think this whole thread is bizarre. I think it is crazy that you guys think pre-med guys/gals who want to be ortho/plastics/general surgeons/ trauma would just defer to becoming podiatrists because USMLE step 1 is pass/fail.
I guess the point I was making is that if your a DO student interested in surgery but you can only match PC would you look at podiatry as a way to do specialize in surgery.

I guess the point I was making is that if your a DO student interested in surgery but you can only match PC would you look at podiatry as a way to do specialize in surgery.

No one will know the answer to this until it actually happens. Time will tell!

At the moment, we have the right number of students getting in and those applying for the match in terms of approved residency spots. Any increase/decrease will be an issue for this field.