Incredibly Relieved. Breakdown Time! 24 AA 25 TS 30 GC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Applesandteeth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello ^_^

I had a thread previously about how I did terribly in the QR section. Thread here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-myself-need-advice-25-ts-21-aa-qr-1.1077075/

(I initially was told I got a QR of 1, I actually got a 17.. also bad.. but better than 1!!!!!!!!!!!!)
After many phone calls and e-mails, the ADA confirmed that there was a mistake with my DAT and sent me my actual scores TODAY. Going to submit my application now.. hopefully... a school will at least invite me for an interview.

Breakdown:
Timeline
Started doing Chad's Chemistry videos with quizzes: February 10th- March 21st. Monday-Friday, with weekends off.
April: DAT Destroyer for Organic Chemistry and General Chemistry - Weekends off.
Some chapters of Organic Chemistry Odyssey.
Watched Chad's Math Videos and did associated quizzes.
May: DAT Bootcamp for Organic and General Chemistry - all 5 tests.
DAT Bootcamp for Math - all 5 tests.
Rewrote Feralis' notes by hand.
DAT Qvault for Biology and PAT (10 tests).
2012 DAT Destroyer for Biology.
June: Week before DAT: Did full length DAT Bootcamp tests to stimulate test taking conditions (First time with RC and developed my own strategy)

Materials used:
DAT Bootcamp $97 for 5 tests, WHAT A STEAL!?! (10/10)
DAT Qvault - only for Biology and PAT 10 test versions (8/10)
Feralis' Notes - Free (9/10)
Chad's videos - I paid for all of them for 90 days. Totally worth it for Math/Chemistry. Especially his quizzes. (10/10)
Organic Chemistry Odyssey - Borrowed from a friend. (8/10)
Craig Savage Videos - Free (10/10)
Ben Chem's Videos on Youtube - Free (8/10) Really helped solidify paramagnetic and diamagnetic differences for me.

Total number of hours? God knows. I made sure to study from 8am to 5pm Monday to Friday from Mid April to mid May. I made sure to spend time with my family on the weekends and stay away from pre-dents in my SMP program who were freaking out about finals. After my finals were over I spent 12 hours a day for the last 2 weeks studying. With breaks on Sundays for church/family.

Organic Chemistry - 25
My weakest subject (received a C in undergrad.)
1. Watched Chad's videos and took quizzes right after. Started with Organic Chemistry only for first 2 weeks. Took detailed notes in a notebook.
2. Started DAT Destroyer with approximately 30 questions a day, supplemented with Organic Odyssey wherever I felt weak in the same notebook.
3. Instead of doing DAT Destroyer a second time, I opted to make cards of all the reactions/notes from Chad and study from them before attempting Bootcamp.
4. Checked my understanding by redoing chad's quizzes. Took notes on notecards on questions I answered incorrectly.
4. DAT Bootcamp 5 test Organic Chemistry completed in 1 week. Did NOT take notes after doing Bootcamp because I was going to do it a second time.
5. DAT Bootcamp week before my test: Took notes on cards. Read them day before, and stopped studying at 5pm day before my exam.

Note about orgo: I felt that writing notes out and actually studying off of them was the most effective method for me.

General Chemistry - 30
My second weakest subject (received a C+ in undergrad)
Did EXACTLY the same as organic chemistry, except no Orgo Odyssey. I started Gen Chem after I was finished my 2 weeks of Chad's videos for Orgo.
1. Watched Chad's videos and took quizzes right after. Took detailed notes in a notebook.
2. Started DAT Destroyer with approximately 30 questions a day in the same notebook.
3. Instead of doing DAT Destroyer a second time, I opted to make cards of all the reactions/notes from Chad and study from them before attempting Bootcamp.
4. Checked my understanding by redoing chad's quizzes. Took notes on note cards on questions I answered incorrectly.
4. DAT Bootcamp 5 test General Chemistry completed in 1 week. Did NOT take notes after doing Bootcamp because I was going to do it a second time.
5. DAT Bootcamp week before my test: Took notes on cards. Read them day before, and stopped studying at 5pm day before my exam.

Note about General Chemistry: I felt that DAT Bootcamp and Chad's quizzes is why I got a 30 in this section. They both prepared me very well.

Biology - 24
1. Did well in my graduate program biology classes - this was huge because a lot of the material on the DAT was in my Cell Biology class.
2. Watched Craig Savage's Youtube videos and took notes in a notebook. Great for Biodiversity, plants, and menstrual cycles. Before bed, I watched his videos a second time for recall. Made associated note cards on sections I found difficult.
3. Rewrote Feralis' notes by hand. I tend to remember things if I write them down, this was the most effective way to memorize everything. I did approx. 1 chapter a day. This took longer than anticipated, and I was short with time.
3. DAT Qvault 10 tests - I did one a day for two weeks, with breaks on the weekend. Wrote note cards on questions I answered incorrectly.
4. DAT Bootcamp week before my exam, and read note cards the day before.

Math - 17
I did 6 Math Destroyer tests, DAT Bootcamp 5 tests, Chad's videos and associated quizzes. Looking back, I should have started Math earlier and not to the last minute.

PAT - 19
1. Started my review by looking at "Sick Wicked Pat Tutorial" on SDN.
2. Had a hard time with TFE and holes, so I just used DAT Qvault for practice. 10 test version.
3. DAT Bootcamp PAT 5 test 2 weeks before exam.
4. Week before exam, did DAT Bootcamp PAT a second time.

Reading - 23
I like to read Tolkien. I'm a huge Lord of the Rings fan, even before Peter Jackson came out with his movies. I feel like that has a part to play since I pay attention to details, and try to immerse myself in what I am reading.
HOWEVER, this is the DAT. They are testing you through M/C questions. So what I did was a modified version of other breakdowns:
I would read the passage, writing down key terms or key themes from each paragraph. Once I reached half way through the passage, I would begin answering questions. Once I was through a few questions, I would finish reading the passage. I would do search and destroy based off the passage map I made, and would make sure I spent 20 minutes for each section. I developed this strategy while using DAT Bootcamp. I will say Bootcamp was WAY harder than the passage I was given.
2. Completed 5 test Bootcamp only ONCE for Reading, the week before my exam. (Yes I left reading to the end.)

DAT Bootcamp (2nd time) Scores:
Bio: 30/25/25/25/25
Gen Chem: 22/19/25/23/25
Orgo: 22/19/21/29/22
PAT 19/17/15/18/18
RC: 21/19/20/23/20
Math: 20/20/19/20/20

DAT Qvault Biology:
23/22/20/19/20/20/21/21/22/20

DAT Qvault PAT:
19/19/19/20/19/19/20/20/21/22

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Well, this was quite the experience. I never in a million years thought this would be such a journey to get my score. I am so happy that I got a 24 AA. I thank everyone who was supportive in the previous thread, especially @Glimmer1991 ,@DogeDDS , @Ari Rezaei , @FeralisExtremum for their amazing resources here on SDN and elsewhere.

~~~~~~~~~~I'm so happy I could eat a cake~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously you did well but were did you think it was a really good idea to skip going through destroyer again and do notecards from Chad's instead? I'm contemplating starting destroyer again just wondering your opinion. Also, what were the averages for your first bootcamp tests? Do you remember? Thanks and awesome job!

Reactions: 1 user
Obviously you did well but were did you think it was a really good idea to skip going through destroyer again and do notecards from Chad's instead? I'm contemplating starting destroyer again just wondering your opinion. Also, what were the averages for your first bootcamp tests? Do you remember? Thanks and awesome job!

Great question. I read a lot of breakdowns in which people did Destroyer 2 times. I found that just doing it once for the chemistry section, and then doing Chad's quizzes a second time worked better for me. Destroyer focused on small details, but I was still struggling with hammering down big concepts. SN2/E2/E1/SN1 appeared so many times on my DAT, I'm really glad I took the time to study them and the different variations that can happen with those reactions.

I did notecards after my only run through with Destroyer and studied off of those. I didn't know all the roadmaps cold, but from studying with Orgo Odeyssey and Chad, I knew most of it.

Funny enough, my first bootcamp tests were ranging all around a few points lower (1-2) but was not that significant of a difference.

Hello ^_^

I had a thread previously about how I did terribly in the QR section. Thread here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-myself-need-advice-25-ts-21-aa-qr-1.1077075/

(I initially was told I got a QR of 1, I actually got a 17.. also bad.. but better than 1!!!!!!!!!!!!)
After many phone calls and e-mails, the ADA confirmed that there was a mistake with my DAT and sent me my actual scores TODAY. Going to submit my application now.. hopefully... a school will at least invite me for an interview.

Breakdown:
Timeline
Started doing Chad's Chemistry videos with quizzes: February 10th- March 21st. Monday-Friday, with weekends off.
April: DAT Destroyer for Organic Chemistry and General Chemistry - Weekends off.
Some chapters of Organic Chemistry Odyssey.
Watched Chad's Math Videos and did associated quizzes.
May: DAT Bootcamp for Organic and General Chemistry - all 5 tests.
DAT Bootcamp for Math - all 5 tests.
Rewrote Feralis' notes by hand.
DAT Qvault for Biology and PAT (10 tests).
2012 DAT Destroyer for Biology.
June: Week before DAT: Did full length DAT Bootcamp tests to stimulate test taking conditions (First time with RC and developed my own strategy)

Materials used:
DAT Bootcamp $97 for 5 tests, WHAT A STEAL!?! (10/10)
DAT Qvault - only for Biology and PAT 10 test versions (8/10)
Feralis' Notes - Free (9/10)
Chad's videos - I paid for all of them for 90 days. Totally worth it for Math/Chemistry. Especially his quizzes. (10/10)
Organic Chemistry Odyssey - Borrowed from a friend. (8/10)
Craig Savage Videos - Free (10/10)
Ben Chem's Videos on Youtube - Free (8/10) Really helped solidify paramagnetic and diamagnetic differences for me.

Total number of hours? God knows. I made sure to study from 8am to 5pm Monday to Friday from Mid April to mid May. I made sure to spend time with my family on the weekends and stay away from pre-dents in my SMP program who were freaking out about finals. After my finals were over I spent 12 hours a day for the last 2 weeks studying. With breaks on Sundays for church/family.

Organic Chemistry - 25
My weakest subject (received a C in undergrad.)
1. Watched Chad's videos and took quizzes right after. Started with Organic Chemistry only for first 2 weeks. Took detailed notes in a notebook.
2. Started DAT Destroyer with approximately 30 questions a day, supplemented with Organic Odyssey wherever I felt weak in the same notebook.
4. Checked my understanding by redoing chad's quizzes. Took notes on notecards on questions I answered incorrectly.
4. DAT Bootcamp 5 test Organic Chemistry completed in 1 week. Did NOT take notes after doing Bootcamp because I was going to do it a second time.

Note about orgo: I felt that writing notes out and actually studying off of them was the most effective method for me.

General Chemistry - 30
My second weakest subject (received a C+ in undergrad)
Did EXACTLY the same as organic chemistry, except no Orgo Odyssey. I started Gen Chem after I was finished my 2 weeks of Chad's videos for Orgo.
1. Watched Chad's videos and took quizzes right after. Took detailed notes in a notebook.
2. Started DAT Destroyer with approximately 30 questions a day in the same notebook.
4. Checked my understanding by redoing chad's quizzes. Took notes on note cards on questions I answered incorrectly.
4. DAT Bootcamp 5 test General Chemistry completed in 1 week. Did NOT take notes after doing Bootcamp because I was going to do it a second time.

Note about General Chemistry: I felt that DAT Bootcamp and Chad's quizzes is why I got a 30 in this section. They both prepared me very well.

Biology - 24
1. Did well in my graduate program biology classes - this was huge because a lot of the material on the DAT was in my Cell Biology class.
2. Watched Craig Savage's Youtube videos and took notes in a notebook. Great for Biodiversity, plants, and menstrual cycles. Before bed, I watched his videos a second time for recall. Made associated note cards on sections I found difficult.
3. Rewrote Feralis' notes by hand. I tend to remember things if I write them down, this was the most effective way to memorize everything. I did approx. 1 chapter a day. This took longer than anticipated, and I was short with time.
3. DAT Qvault 10 tests - I did one a day for two weeks, with breaks on the weekend. Wrote note cards on questions I answered incorrectly.
4. DAT Bootcamp week before my exam, and read note cards the day before.

Math - 17
I did 6 Math Destroyer tests, DAT Bootcamp 5 tests, Chad's videos and associated quizzes. Looking back, I should have started Math earlier and not to the last minute.

PAT - 19
1. Started my review by looking at "Sick Wicked Pat Tutorial" on SDN.
2. Had a hard time with TFE and holes, so I just used DAT Qvault for practice. 10 test version.
3. DAT Bootcamp PAT 5 test 2 weeks before exam.
4. Week before exam, did DAT Bootcamp PAT a second time.

Reading - 23
I like to read Tolkien. I'm a huge Lord of the Rings fan, even before Peter Jackson came out with his movies. I feel like that has a part to play since I pay attention to details, and try to immerse myself in what I am reading.
HOWEVER, this is the DAT. They are testing you through M/C questions. So what I did was a modified version of other breakdowns:
I would read the passage, writing down key terms or key themes from each paragraph. Once I reached half way through the passage, I would begin answering questions. Once I was through a few questions, I would finish reading the passage. I would do search and destroy based off the passage map I made, and would make sure I spent 20 minutes for each section. I developed this strategy while using DAT Bootcamp. I will say Bootcamp was WAY harder than the passage I was given.
2. Completed 5 test Bootcamp only ONCE for Reading, the week before my exam. (Yes I left reading to the end.)

DAT Bootcamp (2nd time) Scores:
Bio: 30/25/25/25/25
Gen Chem: 22/19/25/23/25
Orgo: 22/19/21/29/22
PAT 19/17/15/18/18
RC: 21/19/20/23/20
Math: 20/20/19/20/20

DAT Qvault Biology:
23/22/20/19/20/20/21/21/22/20

DAT Qvault PAT:
19/19/19/20/19/19/20/20/21/22

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Well, this was quite the experience. I never in a million years thought this would be such a journey to get my score. I am so happy that I got a 24 AA. I thank everyone who was supportive in the previous thread, especially @Glimmer1991 ,@DogeDDS , @Ari Rezaei , @FeralisExtremum for their amazing resources here on SDN and elsewhere.

~~~~~~~~~~I'm so happy I could eat a cake~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good

Posted using SDN Mobile

Thanks for the detailed breakdown? Do you mind posting your scored from your first attempt at bootcamp?

1st bootcamp scores:
(Only did Chemistry and PAT twice, the rest I only did once)
Gen Chem: 20/19/20/20/25
Orgo: 20/19/20/20/21
PAT 18/17/15/16/16

Awesome!! I'll add you to the collection once I get ahold of my laptop!

Thanks Glimmer :D

Great question. I read a lot of breakdowns in which people did Destroyer 2 times. I found that just doing it once for the chemistry section, and then doing Chad's quizzes a second time worked better for me. Destroyer focused on small details, but I was still struggling with hammering down big concepts. SN2/E2/E1/SN1 appeared so many times on my DAT, I'm really glad I took the time to study them and the different variations that can happen with those reactions.

I did notecards after my only run through with Destroyer and studied off of those. I didn't know all the roadmaps cold, but from studying with Orgo Odeyssey and Chad, I knew most of it.

Funny enough, my first bootcamp tests were ranging all around a few points lower (1-2) but was not that significant of a difference.