Indiana Impressions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chopianista

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of you interviewed at Indiana? If so, what were your general impressions of the school? What impressed you the most?

Also, are any of you from the area? What's Indianapolis like?

Members don't see this ad.

Chopianista said:
Have any of you interviewed at Indiana? If so, what were your general impressions of the school? What impressed you the most?

Also, are any of you from the area? What's Indianapolis like?

bump

medhacker said:

One thing you need to keep in mind is that most of IU Med's students spend their first two years at a "satellite campus"- Fort Wayne, Terre Haute, Evansville, Muncie, Gary and a couple others I do believe. Third and fourth year are spent at hospitals in Indy and the hospitals are some of the finest you'll fine anywhere.....

Indy is an interesting city.....not too big, not too small. Whether this is good for you depends on what you're looking for. Compared to Seattle, Indy will most likely seem like Monkeysbutt, Kentucky.

I can't speak directly for MSI's and MSII's but I do deal with them on a near daily basis (I'm working with a professor at the satellite campus here in Terre Haute) but they all seem happy and well adjusted. I haven't heard any major complaints about the school or profs, although I will say that Terre Haute is not the most exciting place and that seems to be a major issue for those from major cities because of the lack of "social" opportunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Praetorian,

Do you know how they determine where you are for the first two years? I'm from South Bend and am applying to IU (they have a satellite campus in S.B., too). I think I would probably want to either be there, Indy, or Bloomington. Any insight into the campus assignment? Thanks!

QUOTE=Praetorian]One thing you need to keep in mind is that most of IU Med's students spend their first two years at a "satellite campus"- Fort Wayne, Terre Haute, Evansville, Muncie, Gary and a couple others I do believe. Third and fourth year are spent at hospitals in Indy and the hospitals are some of the finest you'll fine anywhere.....

Indy is an interesting city.....not too big, not too small. Whether this is good for you depends on what you're looking for. Compared to Seattle, Indy will most likely seem like Monkeysbutt, Kentucky.

I can't speak directly for MSI's and MSII's but I do deal with them on a near daily basis (I'm working with a professor at the satellite campus here in Terre Haute) but they all seem happy and well adjusted. I haven't heard any major complaints about the school or profs, although I will say that Terre Haute is not the most exciting place and that seems to be a major issue for those from major cities because of the lack of "social" opportunities.[/QUOTE]

I'm a second year at the Bloomington center....

So far I have really enjoyed IU. While I can't speak too much of the Indy center, things are great in Bloomington. In general my classmates are likeabe and the professors seem interested in teaching us. Plus, Bloomington is a fun college town.

As far as campus assignments, they will send you a form in the spring for you to rank the campuses in order of where you want to be and give you a chance to explain why. If you have a good reason (or can make one up) to be somewhere or have strong ties to a part of the state, it usually isn't a problem getting the campus you want. Nearly everybody here in Bloomington requested it as their first choice.

Pros of satellite campuses:
- smaller class size (16-28)
- more attention from professors then Indy
- higher average board scores and shelf scores then Indy. Bloomington historically hovers around 230 on Step 1. IU as a whole is usually around 222 and Indy around the national average. Of course, Step 1 is what you make of it.

Pros of Indy:
- don't have to attend lectures if you don't want to (I wish I would have considered this a little more)
- get a chance to become familiar with the hospital system for 3rd/4th years for what that's worth.
- more connected to clinical faculty early on (the satellite campuses will have good physicians teaching you, but obviously not the ones you will be seeing later on in your training)

Cons of Satellites:
- feel cut off from the bulk of the medical school
- not as easy to become involved in clinical research during the school year (though it isn't a problem during the summer)
- must attend lecture
- Gary, Indiana....nuff said ;)

Cons of Indy:
- The huge number of classmates is a turn off for some people
- except on the neuro shelf (where the prof pretty much gives them the answers ahead of time), score poorly ON AVERAGE on the shelf exams and Step 1 compared to the satellite campuses.
- IUPUI is a commuter campus. This can be bad for those who enjoy centralized university life.

Overall, med school has been a good experience so far. Those I have talked to in their clinical years seem to enjoy it. It doesn't sound as if they grind med students into the ground as much as other schools do. Indy, while nothing special, is pretty clean and safe compared to other major cities. And let's be honest, you won't have the time to be going out on the town 5 nights/week if you want to do well in school.

Good luck.

Honestly I have no idea how they assign the students to various satellite campuses, but I believe it is done with some consideration to where the students want to go.

mattorama said:
- Gary, Indiana....nuff said ;)

At least Gary is near chicago, and it doesn't have as many hicks, and by hicks I mean NASCAR fans :)