Indiana University of Pennsylvania PsyD program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

memiller

Reaction score
Has anyone every attended the program at IUP? I was wondering if you could please share your thoughts and experiences.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I didn’t attend but I interviewed there about 6 years ago. A red flag for me was during my interview with the DCT, he assumed I am Indian (I am not) and started telling me about everything he knew in relation to India (e.g. Indian restaurants he’s been to, Indian people he knows). This tells me their emphasis on diversity in training is probably very lacking.

Also (at that time anyway), they don’t provide tuition waivers and assistantships were difficult to come by. The students I spoke to had a lot of loans/debt. Personally, there are a lot of other programs that do offer financial assistance and I had only applied to IUP as a backup if I didn’t get into any of those programs.

Hope that helps and hope you’re able to get the opinion of someone who actually went there!

Reactions: 1 user
I didn’t attend but I interviewed there about 6 years ago. A red flag for me was during my interview with the DCT, he assumed I am Indian (I am not) and started telling me about everything he knew in relation to India (e.g. Indian restaurants he’s been to, Indian people he knows). This tells me their emphasis on diversity in training is probably very lacking.

Also (at that time anyway), they don’t provide tuition waivers and assistantships were difficult to come by. The students I spoke to had a lot of loans/debt. Personally, there are a lot of other programs that do offer financial assistance and I had only applied to IUP as a backup if I didn’t get into any of those programs.

Hope that helps and hope you’re able to get the opinion of someone who actually went there!
I’m so sorry that happened to you. I’m not sure what to expect. I applied and I hear the funding has gotten better but I will say diversity is huge to me, so I hope it has changed. I have not gotten a chance to speak to anyone in the program, however, I hope soon I can one day! I appreciate your input. If you don’t mind me asking what PsyD program did you attend?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at IUP last year and agree with the above poster. Everything went well for me during the interview, but once I went to visit, all of the current students talked to me about the lack of diversity which really deterred me from attending. I got offered full funding from IUP last year, so in terms of funding, I think that has improved.

I am so sorry that that happened. It sounds like a great program but that sounds horrible. I hope everything worked out for you. Where did you end up going? Do you recommend any PsyD programs or PhD programs? I am applying now and could use some advice! 😊

And when you say full funding, what do you mean by that? A tuition waiver and a GA / stipend?

And when you say full funding, what do you mean by that? A tuition waiver and a GA / stipend?

Yes, in fully funded programs you do not pay tuition, beyond a usually minor matriculation fee or something, and you receive a stipend on top of that.