info on manipal dental college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

october

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

As some of you already know I'm a canadian student at the University of Toronto. I'll be graduating this year with a Hon. BSc. I'm thinking of applying to the states for 2007 entrance. My parents want me to apply to MAHE.

Since there are students that have gone through the BDS program in India, I was hoping for some opinions. Do you think it would be a good idea to go to MAHE (or any other indian dental school)? I know I would have to do a 2 year program in order to practice in Canada/US. How difficult is it to obtain admission for the 2 year advanced placement programs for foreign trained dentists?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

october said:
Hi,

As some of you already know I'm a canadian student at the University of Toronto. I'll be graduating this year with a Hon. BSc. I'm thinking of applying to the states for 2007 entrance. However my GPA isn't very good (only a 3.01 presently). My parents want me to apply to MAHE.

Since there are students that have gone through the BDS program in India, I was hoping for some opinions. Do you think it would be a good idea to go to MAHE (or any other indian dental school)? I know I would have to do a 2 year program in order to practice in Canada/US. How difficult is it to obtain admission for the 2 year advanced placement programs for foreign trained dentists?

Thanks

1. if ever you are planning of applying in india......its my opinion that MAHE is the best.....rest of the colleges are also good but i would still suggest MAHE
2.about getting admission into Advanced Standing program:
odds: competitive....two additional years of studying and paying fees
evens: although competitive its not impossibble...you will have n international exposure....and "may be" not sure the aggregate cost may be less.

but then again i am no authority on this subject, and i might be wrong.....
but I would suggest that you try and get into some dental college here itself(U.S. or Canada)
i hope this helps

MAHE or go the regular DDS route?
MAHE is a pretty good school set in beautiful manipal and mangalore area.Sunny beaches and a student friendly place.It is *kinda inexpensive compared to racier places like Bangalore and Bombay.Though I am told there is hardly any night life.And it gets REALLY HOT and HUMID.Someone told me they have only 3 seasons-hot, hotter, hottest :) :)
It is a nice school to go to though.
Also you mentioned that you are Hon.BSc.Guessing you maybe around 21-22.The avarage age of BDS first year is 18.Several complain about the maturity (or the lack there of )of their peers.You will be senpding a LOT of time with your peers and give this a thought.
In a DDS class you will be in the same age group.And you dont have to worry about advanced standing programs-ie 2/3 more years of study.It is pretty competitive either way.I say bite the bullet and do the regular 4 year program.
But the decision is yours.
Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi october...
as all ve already said, 1 shot dds is d better option...
but if u still wanna go 2 india 4 some "international" exposure...i'll give u list of d top 10 dental schools in india...
1. MAHE
2. MAHE
3. MAHE
4. MAHE
5. MAHE....
6. ...
7. ...
8. ...
9. ...
i really dunno abt d rest...
but MAHE is THE best...

good luck!!! ;)

october said:
Hi,

As some of you already know I'm a canadian student at the University of Toronto. I'll be graduating this year with a Hon. BSc. I'm thinking of applying to the states for 2007 entrance. However my GPA isn't very good (only a 3.01 presently). My parents want me to apply to MAHE.

Thanks

I had already sent u some of the info in the mail, let me give you some more info.
Try to get DDS here . That shd be your first preference .
In case you really have to go to India for BDS , go for MAHE. It is trying for accredition from CA board . The first inspection got rejected last year, and in a couple of years they will surely get it.
Also the staff is very good , full time and the HODS are internationally known ,some of them with 20 + years experience.
It has one of the best hospitals attached to it , so surgery and medicine in 3 rd year is taught well.
Patients are increasing in no. over there and they have some of the best equipment in the country.
I am not saying all this just like that , but based on my personal experience both in India as well as in USA. I did my BDS from there , and went back to do MDS there. So I ve seen the changes over a period of 10 years and can predict where it is heading.
As for your peers, they are very competitive, u ll ve to be very regular in your studies . It is not easy to score well over there. U are made to work hard!!!
The library is known to be the best medical lib in ASIA, and seems to be one of the fav hang out places for everyone there!!!( lol)
The weather is bad, hot and humid , monsoons last for about 5 months ( june thru nov)
Social life is good , something or the other is always going on, and there are couple of clubs too.
The campus is BEAUTIFUL!!!
And u can go in for all kinds of extra curricular activities . Its a very healthy environment over there.
I hope that helps.

october said:
Hi,

Thanks

Hey October (fellow Canuck ;) )

Okay, I promised myself that I wouldn't post much on the SDN nowadays since I need to concentrate on my preparation for the exam. However, seeing your post, I thought I'd make an exception and give you my $0.02 :D

My honest advice is DO NOT GO OUTSIDE OF NORTH AMERICA TO STUDY DENTISTRY IF YOU WANT TO SETTLE IN NORTH AMERICA!!! Going overseas should absolutely be your very last resort!!! I was an UofT student, too. I think your GPA is pretty much hopeless for the Canadian dental schools. However, I do think you have a relatively good chance of getting into a US school, provided you really kick $SS on the DAT ( ie. getting above 20s) and apply early. A GPA of 3 is the minimum for a lot of the American schools, and if you have great DAT scores, your low GPA will be overlooked, somewhat. So, apply to as many US dental schools as you can early. If you don't get in, take some upper science courses and some non-science courses that you're good at from UofT, or elsewhere if you think you can get higher grades, to improve your science and overall GPAs in the meantime, which I am sure you can do. Honestly, it is really a huge hassle to go back and do an Advanced Standing Program after obtaining a dental degree outside of North America because it's very competitive and the competition is only getting worse. A lot more money and time will go into this route compared to the US dental school route. I think, even if you have to do an extra 1 or 2 years of science to improve your GPA, it will be much more than worth it. For me, If I had known about the magnitude of the competition for the Advanced Standing Program back then, I would have definitely thought twice about going overseas (to England) to do dentistry. I mean, I had a fantastic experience in England and got an excellent dental education, but for the amount of money, time and effort I am paying because of it now, is just too much. Now, it's too late and I can't go back in time. Therefore, it's better that you face the competition now, trying to get into a 4-year regular program, than later into an Advanced Standing Program. You'll be safe and sound once you get into a US school. All you have to worry about is finish the program so that you may start practising. It just sucks big time trying to get into an Advanced Standing Program :rolleyes:.
You should definitely start applying to the US schools once your UofT exams are over in early to mid May. Best of luck on your exams.
Hope that helps.
Good luck with your decision. :D

i want to do Community dentistry mds in MAHE. I know this is a road less traveled and i do want to do something new. I know that other favorite specialities like ortho and surgery are saturated. But I am not 100% sure to take Community dent. but i am attracted to it very much. I need reassurance from anyone who has studied this course.

Thank you all for the input.

I am going to apply to MAHE since it would mean admission for 2006. Applying to a US school would mean admission for 2007 (if I get in). I could do that, but I would have nothing to do for 1 year besides take the DAT again. If I were to do that I would probably go for a masters program...but that would be 2 years. So it's either apply for a masters or apply to a US school since I wouldn't be able to leave the masters program after 1 year.