Info regarding locum rates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm talking with locum companies now about options available where I'm moving to. I'll list my quoted rates below and would like feedback whether they are good or not. Also, what other questions should I be asking?

Weekend only
edited

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I'm talking with locum companies now about options available where I'm moving to. I'll list my quoted rates below and would like feedback whether they are good or not. Also, what other questions should I be asking?

Weekend only
edited

I was just thinking about this as I was shoveling snow.... I wonder what I could earn at the local VA or other InPt unit for weekend coverage.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just thinking about this as I was shoveling snow.... I wonder what I could earn at the local VA or other InPt unit for weekend coverage.

To make decent $, you have to drive away from a major city. In northern MS, the amount you make increases as the distance increases from Memphis TN (in the north) and Jackson MS (in the south). In other words, you have to travel away from the competition.

Reactions: 1 user
My understanding is that every job will pay differently and every locums company will have a cut they take. If you can cut them out, you will make much more. Same for job recruiters.

In california, prisons pay really well. There is a catch. You have to work in a prison.
I tried it and could not handle it. The only good thing is that it was a good deterrent, I definitely would not make a good criminal.

Reactions: 1 user
What is the typical going rate for weekend coverage of a unit (and how many beds is this)? I recognize it's hard to generalize to a locality. I'm just looking to see what those waters would be like.

2500-3000...could be more or less than this range depending on what is involved. For some reason 2500 seems to be a very popular number however. I've done a number of weekends at different places for this rate, and the volume wasn't too bad or the work that hard. I wouldn't cover a really big unit with lots of stuff going on for that though.

That said, note that this work seems to be drying up overall. More and more inpatient units are requiring their salaried people to split it as part of their package, or hiring PAs/NPs to help out in this regard. There has been a definite decrease in the amount of weekend inpatient locums opportunities available.....at least that's what multiple locum recruiters have told me as units go more towards having the salaried people(and midlevels) cover it.

My understanding is that every job will pay differently and every locums company will have a cut they take. If you can cut them out, you will make much more. Same for job recruiters.
what is the process of "cutting out the middle man?" Contacting various hospitals asking if they are in need of temporary work? The trade off though is you're on your own for housing/insurance/etc (since there is no locum company to cover it) though right?

what is the process of "cutting out the middle man?" Contacting various hospitals asking if they are in need of temporary work? The trade off though is you're on your own for housing/insurance/etc (since there is no locum company to cover it) though right?
Call the inpatient unit medical director and tell him /her of your interest. They are often in need of weekend coverage. They might employ you and provide liability coverage through the hospital. This is probably cheaper for them than contacting through locum company.

Call the inpatient unit medical director and tell him /her of your interest. They are often in need of weekend coverage. They might employ you and provide liability coverage through the hospital. This is probably cheaper for them than contacting through locum company.
is moonlighting just considered doing a locum "locally"? (without the contracting company)

My understanding is that every job will pay differently and every locums company will have a cut they take.
The difference is that many employers hire out to a locums company because this takes the impetus off of the employer from scheduling all their needs. They can also require very specific liability coverage. Dealing with individuals directly in the community is a pain.

Is there a reason that a physician owned locums organization with profit reinvestment/distribution to physicians wouldn't work? That would cut out the middle man's profits, but also make it easier for hospitals to not have to deal with individuals and benefits could be purchased en mass... or this this crazy talks?

I gotta say... most of the places that I interviewed at with in house moonlighting were offering residents ~$120/hr (in major cities)... I would have expected more of a salary boost for locums work as an attending...

Is there a reason that a physician owned locums organization with profit reinvestment/distribution to physicians wouldn't work? That would cut out the middle man's profits, but also make it easier for hospitals to not have to deal with individuals and benefits could be purchased en mass... or this this crazy talks?
Not crazy. But more typical is a physician owned locums organization WITHOUT profit reinvestment. This way, one person breaks their back and potentially has a windfall, while the rest just get a nice hourly but do none of the overhead and account management (of which there is a lot).

I just recently came across a locums job at $220/hr and a hospitalist job for $330/yr.... rates are going up

Reactions: 2 users

Yes to all. If you can figure out where the job being advertised is, then you can contact them directly. I've never done this, but I have seen another Dr. do it successfully.

When you say hospitalist is it just inpt?
That is the meaning of "hospitalist." It may include consults on the medical floor.

Also, in case the OP is still listening, you need to find out what your schedule is going to be like. If it's an outpatient job, you need to know how long new evals and follow ups are, what hours you'll be scheduled each day, and whether you'll be double-booked. Also whether they use an EMR, and if so, which one it is, since if you're like me, that will affect how fast you're able to chart.

With an inpatient job, you need to know what a typical day is like, what your daily case load will be. I'm currently working a job where my max # of patients is 14. I naively trusted them when they told me it would be an 8-5 job, but I just finished my 4th month there and only recently did I learn how to hustle enough to get out on time most days. I've talked to recruiters about inpatient jobs that involve 16-18 inpatients per day plus 2-3 consults on the med/surg floors. I have no idea how that is possible, unless it assumes a 12 hour day.