Informal Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway55

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a second year undergraduate student. I applied to work in a Professor's chemistry lab, and I got an email back inviting me for an "informal interview." What does this kind of interview mean exactly? Can I go wrong by wearing a suit? Any other tips would be appreciated, as I am very nervous.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a second year undergraduate student. I applied to work in a Professor's chemistry lab, and I got an email back inviting me for an "informal interview." What does this kind of interview mean exactly? Can I go wrong by wearing a suit? Any other tips would be appreciated, as I am very nervous.

Thanks!

Informal...hmm...If it was me I would roll in slacks and a button-down. Suit maybe too much. Hence the "informal." And I would think that means more of a "get to know you" type of interview if he or she stressed the informality. Maybe bring a resume just in case?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you need to wear a suit for a lab job interview. You can just wear khakis with a casual collar shirt.

If you wear a nice shirt take it to the cleaners first. They iron really good. Noticeably better than us mortals. It'll make a difference.

Would it be OK to wear a suit/tie just in case, or would I run the risk of 'overdoing' it?

Guys just let him wear the suit and tie. The professor will get a nice laugh.

Last edited:
Informal = nice pair of jeans and a polo or something, chill out

Informal means informal. No suit but be presentable. Nice pants and a button down, no tie. No need to fret just be yourself. Good luck.

+1

Bring your CV/Resume (if you haven't sent him one already). Try to look over some of his published articles and get a feel for his research niche. Convey your interest in what his lab group's trying to do.

Another tip, really use the interview to see if you two click together. You don't want to be in a miserable lab, so try to determine if you can have a positive relationship with him as a mentor.

Though this is an informal interview and plenty has been mentioned in regards to clothing (I'm not Stacey London so I rarely know what's appropriate for what occasion)...just make sure you're presentable, but above all your primary concern should be how you present yourself as a person to this interview. So just find something to wear along the lines of what's been presented on this forum, and then spend most of your time on thinking about how you'll answer questions, depict yourself, and the like.