Information on ID

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jy846

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I'm not finding much updated information on this site about being an ID physician. I'm a medical student bordering between ID and pathology (huge difference I know.

So far this is what I'm understand about being an ID physician:

1. High satisfactory rate
2. Good lifestyle/low stress
3. Low pay
4. Wide variety of specialization of certain diseases

Specific questions

What I'm not seeing is how the job market is for ID. Will I have trouble finding a job?

Is there a big demand for ID?

What kind of mindset should one have going into ID?

I understand so far that someone needs to be inquisitive, open-minded, willing to balance the pros and cons of a situation as there is often no right answer, and doesn't need to make a decision fast under pressure.

If I could get some advice, it would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't really comment on ID specifically, but the upside to doing IM --> ID (or any other subspecialty) is that, worst-case scenario, you have general IM (PCP or hospitalist) to either fall back on or supplement your work and income. I know a fair number of PP ID docs who do a lot of general outpatient IM in addition to ID. And there is no doubt that the job market for IM is better than the one for Path.

FWIW, most of the Path residents I know have done between 1 and 3 fellowships prior to being able to get a job so if the time difference in training is something you're worried about, don't. Path is going to wind up being 5-7 years for most folks.

Hi SDN,

Specific questions

What I'm not seeing is how the job market is for ID. Will I have trouble finding a job?

Is there a big demand for ID?

What kind of mindset should one have going into ID?

I understand so far that someone needs to be inquisitive, open-minded, willing to balance the pros and cons of a situation as there is often no right answer, and doesn't need to make a decision fast under pressure.

If I could get some advice, it would be much appreciated!

in a nutshell, as far as future prospects [anything in IM>path]
job market for pathology is non-existent. Job market for ID depends on city where you are applying but you should at least be able to find a job. ID doc's are usually consultants and dont make final decisions on inpatient management but you can certainly have an outpatient practice and specialize in *fill in the blank*

I can't really comment on ID specifically, but the upside to doing IM --> ID (or any other subspecialty) is that, worst-case scenario, you have general IM (PCP or hospitalist) to either fall back on or supplement your work and income. I know a fair number of PP ID docs who do a lot of general outpatient IM in addition to ID. And there is no doubt that the job market for IM is better than the one for Path.

FWIW, most of the Path residents I know have done between 1 and 3 fellowships prior to being able to get a job so if the time difference in training is something you're worried about, don't. Path is going to wind up being 5-7 years for most folks.

Thanks for the info! I spoke with a couple pathologists and they told me that they usually take a fellowship before finding work. The job market I hear for Path isn't great but almost everyone finds a job somewhere. May not be the best location but they will find one - 96% find a job although I don't know after how long.

in a nutshell, as far as future prospects [anything in IM>path]
job market for pathology is non-existent. Job market for ID depends on city where you are applying but you should at least be able to find a job. ID doc's are usually consultants and dont make final decisions on inpatient management but you can certainly have an outpatient practice and specialize in *fill in the blank*

I'm originally from Texas so that's where I want to find a job. North East or West coast is also fine.

What you described ID was how I perceived it to be when I was on my IM rotations although I haven't done a rotation on ID.

Thanks for the help!