Infrared and conjugation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KVS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The more conjugated a molecular system, the higher the wavelength reflected, correct?

If this is true, does that mean objects that appear violet are less conjugated than objects that appear red? And what about objects that emit infrared? Do they have "too much" conjugation to the point that it's outside the ability of our eyes to detect?

Is the number of conjugations in a molecule and the wavelength of light reflected, linear in relationship?

I understand I'm basically asking the same question a number of different ways, but I just want to understand this. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The more conjugated a molecular system, the higher the wavelength reflected, correct?

If this is true, does that mean objects that appear violet are less conjugated than objects that appear red? And what about objects that emit infrared? Do they have "too much" conjugation to the point that it's outside the ability of our eyes to detect?

Is the number of conjugations in a molecule and the wavelength of light reflected, linear in relationship?

I understand I'm basically asking the same question a number of different ways, but I just want to understand this. Thanks!
More conjugation absorbs at a higher wavelength. (Not reflects)

Reactions: 1 user