Inpatient Pediatrics or Inpatient Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychczar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide whether or not to rotate in inpatient pediatrics in lieu of inpatient medicine during the off service months. Any thoughts on pros/cons, whether this is recommended or discouraged? I'm not sure whether I want to do child/adolescent, but does inpatient peds even help at all in making that decision? Some pros to peds I can think of are that I generally got along better with the peds folks (people seemed friendlier, more approachable) and the patients may be generally healthier or more motivated.

Members don't see this ad.

I knew I wanted to go into Child, but chose IM instead of peds. I felt I needed to know IM due to covering the whole psyc hospital when on call and 90% of those patients were adult. There is enough overlap that you will be okay no matter which you choose.

Reactions: 1 user
At my residency program, inpatient peds was significantly harder in terms of work schedule than inpatient medicine. Also true at my medical school, so I'm thinking that's not atypical. Check out that type of stuff before committing to anything.

My vote would be inpatient medicine given the amount of adult medicine you will see on inpatient and CL psychiatry. If your heart was absolutely set on peds I would probably still lean toward adult IM, it has seemed crucial to my residency experience.