Navy Inquisitive future oncologist/psychiatrist here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurenavaldoctor128

Oncology or Psychiatry? Message me
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good day everyone, I rely on you to clear up any questions that the Navy's website is being discrete about in my future travels. I have many passions in life, still being a student. Computers, gadgets, and a strong love of medical professions and the Navy. I write to you today to answer questions that I have before making a definite decision on my career choice. Lets get started shall we?

If I decide to apply for the HPSP scholarship, does that entail physical training, or just job training?

Let me start by saying I am in good shape but have never been one to swim or do obstacle courses. Having to do these things will make me reconsider military medicine as a whole.

Are medical personnel payed well? The average oncologist can make 415,000 dollars per annum, do I have any hope of coming near that at all?

I am not in this for the money, of course, but all the Navy has provided me with is the hopes of making a whopping 30 grand. If I want to have a family and a nice living in Bethesda while working at the Walter Reed Military Hospital, should I just give up on that now? Which leads me to my next question.

Does the Navy count someone who works at Walter Reed part of the Navy and therefore serving the armed forces?

My dream simply is to be the director of this fine hospital one day. A highly decorated Rear Admiral living in Bethesda and a highly revered serviceman in uniform. However, the state of not knowing and oblivion where I am headed next could be a potential problem. If ship duty is mandatory, I would consider switching to the army, but my family historically served in the US Navy, including the Continental Navy, which makes it a right of passage in my family.

How eligible are doctors for ribbons?

Are they different than regular service member ribbons? I look forward to an illustrious career as perhaps a highly decorated doctor, and serving my country as a respected figure.

I may have future questions, of course, and im sure a few of these questions have been answered. I have scoured for the answers, and have found squat. I would appreciate if you could help me find the path to the answers, and you could perhaps be helping a future serviceman. I thank everyone in advance

-Will

Members don't see this ad.

You seem like a high schooler, in which case I'd say focus on getting a good GPA and worry about this much later.

1) Read the stickies about ODS to learn more about what you do there. You take a PT test a couple times a year. No O course or required swimming.
2) You'll make a lot less in the military as an oncologist than in the civilian world, but you're not in it for the money so that's immaterial. You'd make more than 30k/yr as a resident or attending. Lots of threads about this.
3) If you're a commissioned Naval officer, yes you're "in the Navy" (cue music). There are also civilian contractors that work there. They're not "in the Navy." BUT, you're unlikely to spend all or most of your career in Bethesda. Don't plan to be there.
4) Yes you can get ribbons...

5) "the state of not knowing and oblivion where I am headed next could be a potential problem." <-- This statement, among others, makes it highly unlikely that you are a good fit for the military.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You seem like a high schooler, in which case I'd say focus on getting a good GPA and worry about this much later.

1) Read the stickies about ODS to learn more about what you do there. You take a PT test a couple times a year. No O course or required swimming.
2) You'll make a lot less in the military as an oncologist than in the civilian world, but you're not in it for the money so that's immaterial. You'd make more than 30k/yr as a resident or attending. Lots of threads about this.
3) If you're a commissioned Naval officer, yes you're "in the Navy" (cue music). There are also civilian contractors that work there. They're not "in the Navy." BUT, you're unlikely to spend all or most of your career in Bethesda. Don't plan to be there.
4) Yes you can get ribbons...

5) "the state of not knowing and oblivion where I am headed next could be a potential problem." <-- This statement, among others, makes it highly unlikely that you are a good fit for the military.

I appreciate your honesty and well detailed answer. By that statement, I clearly worded it wrong, which was a mistake on my end. I apologize. What I meant to say was to ask how much leeway doctors get in choosing destination. From what I have read, it does sound like they get a little bit more of a choice than regular officers, but will I ever have hope of settling down? Im sure there is possibility for anything but hey, duty calls.

I would love to hear other opinions as well from doctors

The short answer is no. You will have very little control over where you live for long periods of time.

The best advice anyone is going to give you is to slow down. You didn't state explicitly, but from the style and content of your post it seems like you are a long way off from actually joining the military. Focus on school, volunteer in a medical setting, get involved with research; figure out if medicine is actually a good fit for you. One step at a time...

Well to state further, yes I am a high schooler, a young one at that, but I have seen too many people get to junior/senior years and have no clue what they are doing. If navy medicine is right for me, I want to know all about what im getting into. I could just as easily change my career path if I so choose.

This is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time.

My advice to you would be live life a little bit. Don't worry so much about what will happen a decade from now. Go to some parties, try to bag a cheerleader. Vast majority of premeds switch out and the majority of the remainder don't get in.

Also, read some hemingway and emulate his prose. Your writing style is stilted and verbose.

If you really want to command a hospital someday become a nurse.

-ex 61N

Well to state further, yes I am a high schooler, a young one at that, but I have seen too many people get to junior/senior years and have no clue what they are doing. If navy medicine is right for me, I want to know all about what im getting into. I could just as easily change my career path if I so choose.
s

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
This is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time.

My advice to you would be live life a little bit. Don't worry so much about what will happen a decade from now. Go to some parties, try to bag a cheerleader. Vast majority of premeds switch out and the majority of the remainder don't get in.

Also, read some hemingway and emulate his prose. Your writing style is stilted and verbose.

If you really want to command a hospital someday become a nurse.

-ex 61N

s
I once again apologize. Staying up till 2 A.M to write a paper and trying to get info about a future occupation is a lethal mix. I understand where you come from when you say to live life. Im young, sue me. I tend to be inquisitive but I make it my life's goal to know as much as possible. I ask these questions because my ancestors who had this career have passed on, and the fact that this website has many professionals makes it my hub for knowledge.

By the way, I will have you know Hemingway, Dostoyevsky, and Frost are my 3 favorite literary geniuses ;)

I don't fault you for asking questions. Some of the answers, as mentioned, can be found all over the thread (such as pay issues). I would add that if you're considering oncology in the future, keep in mind that you may not even be allowed to train in that fellowship. Additionally, the military isn't always flooded with oncologic patients, as a result of our patient population. Lastly, if you decide to go the operational route, you're almost certainly going to give up your career as a physician for the mantle of administrator. Thusly, it would make more sense to specialize in something like psychiatry or medicine, and just look for deployments and brigade surgeon positions (or equivalent).

In fact, I've been lectured at many-a-times concerning operational track careers (misplaced attention in my case.) the general gestalt is: ROTC/West Point/Uniformed Services Med School are good. They result in enormous commitments, which means the leadership trusts your in it for the long haul (at the expense of your freedom and free will if you ask me personally). Then residency, followed by deployments and operational positions, like brigade surgeon, Department Chief, DCCS, Hospital Commander, followed by a slew of positions with very long and non-descript titles below the Surgeon General, followed by Surgeon General

(unless you're a nurse in the Army, in which case the path is: Floor Nurse->charge nurse->non-descript aid to hospital commander-> hospital commander with a two grade fast track->Surgeon General with a two grade fast track (the last two within a few year period).

Granted, this is all for the Army, but I'm sure it's the same or similar in the DN.

In any case, unless you have close family working in these fields, I think it's nearly impossible to know for sure what kind of medicine you might want to tackle. I think the other posters have some merit in stating that right now you should concentrate on GPA, finding a good college, and enjoying your youth. I have yet to meet a physician who doesn't wish they would have taken more advantage of their free time before med school (although not so much that your grades suffer).

Last edited:
I don't fault you for asking questions. Some of the answers, as mentioned, can be found all over the thread (such as pay issues). I would add that if you're considering oncology in the future, keep in mind that you may not even be allowed to train in that fellowship. Additionally, the military isn't always flooded with oncologic patients, as a result of our patient population. Lastly, if you decide to go the operational route, you're almost certainly going to give up your career as a physician for the mantle of administrator. Thusly, it would make more sense to specialize in something like psychiatry or medicine, and just look for deployments and brigade surgeon positions (or equivalent).

In fact, I've been lectured at many-a-times concerning operational track careers (misplaced attention in my case.) the general gestalt is: ROTC/West Point/Uniformed Services Med School are good. They result in enormous commitments, which means the leadership trusts your in it for the long haul (at the expense of your freedom and free will if you ask me personally). Then residency, followed by deployments and operational positions, like brigade surgeon, Department Chief, DCCS, Hospital Commander, followed by a slew of positions with very long and non-descript titles below the Surgeon General, followed by Surgeon General

(unless you're a nurse in the Army, in which case the path is: Floor Nurse->charge nurse->non-descript aid to hospital commander-> hospital commander with a two grade fast track->Surgeon General with a two grade fast track (the last two within a few year period).

Granted, this is all for the Army, but I'm sure it's the same or similar in the DN.

In any case, unless you have close family working in these fields, I think it's nearly impossible to know for sure what kind of medicine you might want to tackle. I think the other posters have some merit in stating that right now you should concentrate on GPA, finding a good college, and enjoying your youth. I have yet to meet a physician who doesn't wish they would have taken more advantage of their free time before med school (although not so much that your grades suffer).
Well, thank you for being overall nicer than some of the previous posters. I am leaning towards psychiatry more so, with a specialization in PTSD (perfect for the service) and later on forensics (perfect for the cha-ching afterwards ) I would also like to be a web programmer on the side. My point is, I want to be a renaissance man with a comfortable living. The people on this forum should be building someone who could potentially work under, with, or above them in the future. I probably wont end up going to medical school, and if I do, there is an even less chance I would be interested in the service. I lean on you guys to help me find out if it truly is for me. I would love to enjoy my youth, and I will be making that my primary focus. High school is a fabulous time, and as Ferris Bueller once said "Lifes too short. If you dont stop and look around, you could miss it." I agree with that much, but I am just a kid guys.

I have mixed family ties except for my ancestors. I have relatives on my moms side in med school, and relatives on my dads side in the Navy. Sadly, my grandfather who has now passed was my only tie to the Naval Medical Corps, and it has probably changed even since he was in there during Korea and Vietnam. I really wanted to be Surgeon General, but psychiatrists never make it that far, and I am at a crossroads. My inquisitive manner will lead me far, but hopefully it will not be my downfall. I will be posting questions occasionally, but not much now. Thank you all~

Oh man, this thread is great. Please keep posting.

My point is, I want to be a renaissance man with a comfortable living.

The military will provide you with neither. You can forget about web programming with so much of your non-clinical time taken up with going to sexual assault seminars and tracking down commanders to get signatures on TDY requests.

The people on this forum should be building someone who could potentially work under, with, or above them in the future.

Most of us will be out of the military long before you join. For the few that stay, you will never be above them in rank.

I probably wont end up going to medical school, and if I do, there is an even less chance I would be interested in the service.

This statement alone tells me you aren't cut out for the military. First and foremost you should be all about being in the service. Playing doctor is a secondary afterthought.

I lean on you guys to help me find out if it truly is for me.

Probably not.

but psychiatrists never make it that far, and I am at a crossroads.

Only one person gets to be surgeon general. You shouldn't base your whole life on that.

I really don't get where you are coming from with this... Obsessing over minutiae for things that are decades away can't be a good use of your time or energy.

There is no need to figure out right now if you are destined to be a doctor, fireman, astronaut, or whatever. The next step is college and looking beyond that point is pretty futile. The endpoints of careers can all sound wonderful. You kind of have to figure out if you enjoy/can tolerate the steps getting there first.

Don't set yourself up for embarrassment by telling your family, friends, and strangers on the internet that you are going to be a Navy doctor, a decorated rear admiral, and the director of Walter Reed before you've looked at an organic chemistry problem set or got your life plan derailed at the convenience of the government.

A not to everyone: It seems you guys misunderstood the function of this thread. I actually have not told anyone of my friends/family that I am interested in the USNMC in fact they dont even know im interested in the service. Im here for answers. I came here expecting that people that actually work for the military (Navy specific) would be able to in some way, shape or form be able to guide me before I make a decision. Other career based forums seemed a bit more tolerant than the self-righteous type here. I may be younger than most but I understand the concept of if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say it at all

A not to everyone: It seems you guys misunderstood the function of this thread. I actually have not told anyone of my friends/family that I am interested in the USNMC in fact they dont even know im interested in the service. Im here for answers. I came here expecting that people that actually work for the military (Navy specific) would be able to in some way, shape or form be able to guide me before I make a decision. Other career based forums seemed a bit more tolerant than the self-righteous type here. I may be younger than most but I understand the concept of if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say it at all

I think the corollary to that is the concept of it's far better to be thought a fool, then post something dumb on the internet and remove all doubt.

I think im about done here. If this forum has taught me anything, its that I am not a medical doctor, much less a sailor. I came here for info, and leave with nothing. Thank you to the few nice people who gave useful, clear cut info, you know who you are.

~Tootaloo

I think im about done here. If this forum has taught me anything, its that I am not a medical doctor, much less a sailor. I came here for info, and leave with nothing.

Huh? You just got the info that you came for. Everyone on this board warned you about making such a detailed life plan, especially since you yourself mentioned that you may not get into medical school, nor would you join the military if you couldn't be a medical officer. Here's my suggestion: go to college, major in something you enjoy while doing pre-med on the side. Find a volunteer gig. If you ace all of your classes and you still like the idea of being a doctor, then you should apply to medical school. The military will always be there.

OP I get where you're coming from, I do. When I was your age I had a fairly specific plan for my future that involved engineering, 'nanotechnology', a number of patents, and a very lucrative revolution in the Energy industry (no joke). The future does, in all seriousness, belong to those who plan and having a perspective that goes out years is better than one that goes out weeks, even when the details of the plan don't work out. Also high school is 4 years of misery for a lot of people and I don't begrudge anyone the opportunity to focus on a brighter future rather than a crappy present.

That being said, you are asking a wide variety of what I would describe as odd questions: extremely specific questions about decision points 15 years down the road, mixed with questions that are basic enough that they show you haven't really done the required reading on what we do. As a general rule: first you decide if you want to go to medical school, then you decide if you want to join the military to pay for it, then you decide what kind of doctor you want to be, and then you decide how you want to structure your career. Most people would advise you not to worry about the pay differentials between civilian and military oncology and the vagaries of administrative promotion in the military until you've made the decision on being a doctor, and they would advise you not to decide to be a doctor until you've shadowed several and take n the premedical courses in college. A better strategy would be to ask for questions about what you can do right now to achieve your goals.

Have you shadowed a doctor yet?

I think you should sit on the porch, look up at the stars, add your favorite mind altering substance (stay away from model airplane glue), and contemplate what life would be like
if you were NOT in the Navy.

Oh, I'm sorry, that was meant for BigNavyPedsGuy.

Don't hit the door on your way out bud; the military isn't for someone who's solely after money, fame, and above 'sub-par food.' Come back when you've matured a bit more and is ready to serve the country for the right reasons.