Insurance and Massachusetts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alphacat23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was hoping that someone on this forum could speak about the differences in what types of insurance a masters level practitioner can accept based on whether they have an LICSW versus a LMHC (in the state of Massachusetts.)

I have heard that it is easier to get on insurance panels/more of them, if you have an LICSW, as opposed to an LMHC is this true and to what extent?

My goal is to have an at least PT private practice where I provide Play Therapy and Art Therapy/Expressive Therapies to children and their families. Although I could receive a much more specialized and relevant degree form Lesley University, that degree is for an LMHC. I do not want to educated myself into any corners. I would like to be eligible to provide care to as large a population as possible (including very low income families.) What insurance I accept seems important. I am considering getting an LICSW, so that I can have more flexibility in who I am able to treat, but am disappointed about the fact that if I pursue this degree I will not be able to specialize in my fields of interest until after my MA, and then the training will not be as comprehensive, and I will also be sick of school by then lol....

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.