Integrated Program Tiers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plastics1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We're all around a third to halfway through the cycle. This topic hasn't been brought up in a few years, and I'm curious about collective opinion. In a field where absolute ranking is non-existent, we still talk about "top programs." No one will outright call a program bottom tier, but I think it's reasonable to at least mention second tier programs. This is obviously fluid, and any opinion for why a program should or shouldn't be somewhere is helpful for us all.

Top 5:

Top tier: Seattle, Stanford, NYU, UTSW, U Mich, Northwestern, Harvard, Penn, Pitt, Hopkins

Second tier (up and coming, rebuilding, prior top tier with issues, solid program):

Members don't see this ad.

Great question... Hope to get some answers from some of the senior guys/program directors.

Top 3 programs are most likely UMich, UW, Stanford. This is in terms of overall recognition of faculty and overall training.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although those are 3 great programs mentioned above, I would disagree somewhat and think that there are tiers of programs in different "areas" so to say, as some programs are known for different things. There's a difference between popularity and strength of the program. Here's how I would put it (integrated only, and can't really comment on the newly integrated programs like duke and ucla):

Top 3 programs for best training:
UTSW
Hopkins
Pittsburgh

Top 3 programs for great training + lifestyle:
Northwestern
Michigan
Georgetown/Harvard

Top 3 Programs for recognition/academic and faculty reputation:
Harvard
UW
NYU

Top 3 academic programs for lifestyle:
Stanford
Wisconsin-Madison
USC

Depends on what you want and what you are looking for. All of these places are top programs and will get top fellowships.

Out of curiosity, which 5 integrated programs would you consider "easier" to get a residency spot in?

No sorry if my question came out the wrong way. Where I'm from certain programs are tougher to get into than others. I just assumed it was the same in the US as well. Since the previous posts state which are the best programs (and probably tougher to get in) I thought there would be programs that are not as good (and maybe "easier" to get in).
Obviously we are talking about plastics and therefore the word "easy" doesn't exist : )
Sorry for the confusion.

Although those are 3 great programs mentioned above, I would disagree somewhat and think that there are tiers of programs in different "areas" so to say, as some programs are known for different things. There's a difference between popularity and strength of the program. Here's how I would put it (integrated only, and can't really comment on the newly integrated programs like duke and ucla):

UTSW
Hopkins
Pittsburgh

Northwestern
Michigan
Georgetown/Harvard

Harvard
UW
NYU

Stanford
Wisconsin-Madison
USC

Depends on what you want and what you are looking for. All of these places are top programs and will get top fellowships.

Totally agree with the above list. Good luck to this year's applicants!!

UTSW
Hopkins
Pittsburgh

Northwestern
Michigan
Georgetown/Harvard

Harvard
UW
NYU

Stanford
Wisconsin-Madison
USC

I disagree with most of this "classification" scheme.

A good plastics training program will likely be a "bad lifestyle" fit for anyone. The hours are long, and the amount of information you need to learn is vast. I suggest that we avoid the notion that a plastics residency is lifestyle friendly. That said, the location does matter depending on the individual. Some would love L.A., or N.Y., and others would hate it. It absolutely is key to love where you live during your residency.

As for the "best" training programs... depends on what you want to do. If you are planning on an academic career, then NYU, Hopkins, UCSF, Stanford, etc are helpful to have on your CV, and the connections are priceless. If you want to be in private practice with your dad back in your home town of smalltown, USA, then the name matters much less.

This topic hasn't been brought up in a few years, and I'm curious about collective opinion.

This topic comes up almost every year and the postings are always the same...based on perceived reputation with little to no experience. I know this is a very stressful time and everyone is worried about matching and getting into the "best" program, but I would submit that you'll get adequate training no matter where you go.

This is one of the few times I find myself agreeing with iGap.

--M