Integrated Vascular with no research.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

au_raa92

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am a MS2 at a solid MD school that also has a home vascular program. I am pretty dead set on pursuing VS, and have made good connections with the residents and attendings at my home institution. I have been having trouble getting published. All of the case reports and abstracts have been stalled with no clear publication date. Am I looking at a research year in my future? I am willing to do what I have to do, but ideally, I'd rather start working immediately after graduating. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn’t do a research year unless it is because you are passionate about research and feel it is necessary for development towards your specific career goals. In terms of having the ability to become a vascular surgeon, you can dual apply general surgery and then complete the traditional 5+2 pathway to follow if you don’t match VIR, as the fellowship is traditionally a less competitive match. Doing a research year and 0+5 to follow only saves you one year, and that’s if you match somewhere that doesn’t have required research time (many do).

In terms of your challenges with publications—are these projects ones that you are first author on? If so, what will change about your ability to push things through from concept to publication when you’re doing a research year? How can we help you identify that limitation so you can be productive moving forward?