Interdisciplinary programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigblackjeeps

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone out there know some common interdisciplinary programs for the MD/PhD? For instance, I am really interested in the medical possibilities of ocean creatures and coral, and so I would really like to get my PhD in oceanography or marine biology. Is this just ridiculous? Would it be better to get a PhD in pharmacology, and just work with a marine biology group? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

The NIH has become more lenient with PhD degrees awarded by MSTPs. Originally limited to basic science, they are now routinely offered in engineering, computer science, and epidemiology. In places where social sciences and philosophy are strong you can also make a compelling case for Bioethics, History of Medicine, Sociology, etc.

However, since you asked, I think your idea is ridiculous. Sometimes it's easy to get carried away with dual degrees. DVM/PhD in Marine Biology? Yes, it makes sense. MD/PhD in Marine Biology -- waste of time.

I think that is a cool idea, in theory. I think you would be better approaching from the medicinal/natural products standpoint. In fact, the lab my friend was in would go on a trip once a year to some exotic island and dive for specimens to bring back to the lab and chuck into ethyl acetate and purify out compounds, by HPLC, with anti-timor activity. Some examples of such products include: acyclovir for herpes and cytarabine for leukemias, not to mention a ton in clinical trials.

Don't let the crude and unimaginative (a mark of a poor scientist, may I add) comments deter you from your quest. Just find a better way to go about it.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Ursus. One last question, that is more just out of inexperience with the medical field. Would looking for possible medicinal characteristics of substances be more pathology or pharmacology? I am assuming pharmacology, but wouldn't you have to know your pathology as well? Thanks again.

Ursus Martimus said:
Don't let the crude and unimaginative (a mark of a poor scientist, may I add) comments deter you from your quest.

"Have an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out." - Bertrand Russell

The original poster asked if anyone thought his idea was ridiculous. I thought it was, and since he soliticted info in the first place, I told him so.

I also think cold fusion is ludicrous, does that make me "crude" and "unimaginative?"

This is a forum for advice. People often post what happens if "XYZ" scenarios and ask if it is a good or bad idea. If you want unquestioning support join Alcoholics Anonymous.

Ursus Martimus said:
Don't let the crude and unimaginative (a mark of a poor scientist, may I add) comments deter you from your quest. Just find a better way to go about it.

Good luck

WORD!!!!

To the OP, DEFINITELY do whatever YOU like for a PhD. You never know what may come of your research. :thumbup: