"Interdisciplinary" research.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustAWhiteGuy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the question: What are the prospects of interdisciplinary research today? In the future?

And what exactly does interdisciplinary mean? Most MD/PhD programs seems restricted to the core biological sciences, so I'm assuming that you're not going to get an MD and a Linguistic Phd anytime soon. Or even a PhD in psychology anytime soon.

What are your thoughts?

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's the question: What are the prospects of interdisciplinary research today? In the future?

And what exactly does interdisciplinary mean? Most MD/PhD programs seems restricted to the core biological sciences, so I'm assuming that you're not going to get an MD and a Linguistic Phd anytime soon. Or even a PhD in psychology anytime soon.

What are your thoughts?

I think that it would be hard to convince the NIH to fund some of the more non-traditional PhDs as interdisciplinary research but who knows

What are your thoughts?

Well, I wanted to try to get a PhD in Mathematics with an MD, but there are practically no programs that will allow it without a "special petition", so I probed a bit deeper and found that a lot of faculty that are in Physiology or Biophysics or Computational Biology or BME do a lot of mathematically based projects, and some even have joint appointments. I think it matters not so much what your PhD is in, but what your research and your thesis topic is.

So maybe the NIH won't fund a Psych MD/PhD..but they might fund someone in Neuro that does a project that leans towards Psych.

Just my guess..I really have no clue about the whole thing :laugh:

What are your thoughts?

I would certainly consider my research in the history of medicine to be interdisciplinary. Programs are not as restrictive as you might think. The key is to find the right person to talk to at each place you want to apply. For example, at one place I first talked unknowingly to the wrong person and thought that the school would not support a PhD in history and then happened to meet the "right" person at a conference and ended up not only applying to the school but also being interviewed and, based on a note from the program director, likely to be accepted in March. I don't think a PhD in psychology is that unreasonable. In fact I remember meeting a girl at Yale whose boyfriend was applying for just that and having good success. Yes, non-traditional PhDs require you to sell yourself and your concept to the program more than traditional PhDs, but I think that the time is right for people wanting to do "interdisciplinary" research. Its a popular buzz-word at schools right now so its important to convince them that you add to the interdisciplinary atmosphere at their school.