Interest in RCTs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IM_is_cool_I_guess

Reaction score
Hello, I'm an incoming IM intern and have a large interest in trial work. Really enjoy the development of evidence based medicine, trial design, and trial analysis. I probably realize the opportunity to participate and learn is pretty much non-available to residents. I'm wondering if fellows have more opportunity or if this is pretty much only available to faculty with big RO1s / physicians who work for pharma. I'm not referring to just enrolling patients, more so the design / implementation process.

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I'm an incoming IM intern and have a large interest in trial work. Really enjoy the development of evidence based medicine, trial design, and trial analysis. I probably realize the opportunity to participate and learn is pretty much non-available to residents. I'm wondering if fellows have more opportunity or if this is pretty much only available to faculty with big RO1s / physicians who work for pharma. I'm not referring to just enrolling patients, more so the design / implementation process.

Thanks for any input.
If you have an interest, you can always find a faculty mentor who develops clinical trials to work with. Hem/onc is probably the area where it's easiest to get involved in this.

Recognize however that a fast turnaround on an investigator initiated trial (IIT) is 1-2 years from conception to opening enrollment. So anything you start working on is unlikely to be realized by you unless you stick around longer than just residency. Doesn't mean that the experience won't be valuable, just that it's definitely not what you think it's going to be like.

Thanks for any input.

What matters most in research is funding. You can learn about these from faculty. But for you to do these as a career, you either need NIH funding or industry funding. It will be more attainable if at prestigious institutions and with good connections, though overall competitive