Interested in Neurology Mentorship (from an NCS)? AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DopaMiners

PT DPT NCS MSCS
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a young(er) clinician working with the Academy of Neuro PT to develop younger clinicians, but I also thought it'd be nice to dip into a student-based forum. I lecture at multiple programs regarding Parkinson's disease and wheelchair prescription.

I formed a podcast with some friends to try and reach the masses beyond the didactic, knowledge-based portion of becoming a PT and practicing as a young clinician. If you have any questions that you'd like us to address on the show, feel free to shoot them in here. I'd also love to be a resource for anyone interested in neurologic physical therapy. On iTunes and SoundCloud it's "Rehab Real Talk" - check it out! No...I don't pay off my student debt with it.

I was honored at CSM this past year as an APTA ANPT Early Career Professional. If you want to read a little bit or see that I'm a real person with real patients, my bio's on the neuropt home page currently (Bobby Hand). You can see I'm all about getting more awesome clinicians into neuro to treat the medically complex.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a few for you:

Did you go into a residency or work in a neuro setting while studying for the NCS?

How critical do you feel like manual skills are as a box 1 type skill set in your setting?

What type of setting do you practice in?

Why did you choose neuro?

What state do you practice in?

I am an incoming 1st year but leaning heavily towards neuro post graduation.
Honestly I doubt I will check out the podcast (just not really my thing), but if you wanted to put some answers up here that would be legit.

Thanks and best wishes.

I have a few for you:

Did you go into a residency or work in a neuro setting while studying for the NCS?

How critical do you feel like manual skills are as a box 1 type skill set in your setting?

What type of setting do you practice in?

Why did you choose neuro?

What state do you practice in?

I am an incoming 1st year but leaning heavily towards neuro post graduation.
Honestly I doubt I will check out the podcast (just not really my thing), but if you wanted to put some answers up here that would be legit.

Thanks and best wishes.

1. Did you go into a residency or work in a neuro setting while studying for the NCS?
Worked full-time in a neuro setting.

2. How critical do you feel like manual skills are as a box 1 type skill set in your setting?
For my patient population, they're very useful but not as much as familiarity with technologies, bracing, functional electrical stimulation, etc. I would say that vestibular/concussion practices rely much more heavily on manual skills than I do with my primarily CVA, SCI, MS, and PD caseload. I'm a big proponent of all therapists being able to provide manual skills and exercise prescription, though.

3. What type of setting do you practice in?
Hospital-based outpatient neuro clinic. I also cover weekends and holidays at the inpatient hospital.

4. Why did you choose neuro?
Mom is a PT and also has MS. Wanted to learn everything about it. Realized the untapped potential of empowering people to move efficiently and live better lives. There's no quick fix for most neuro diagnoses. Not to take anything away from other specialties, but I perceived that neuro had the most problem solving and creativity. It's one thing to figure out a way to practice a movement skill in an otherwise "healthy" person...but it's a whole new level trying to teach someone with a motor learning or mobility block due to a neurologic injury/disease. I'm a former athlete looking for the next challenge. That's the best I can do without ranting and raving about how awesome and thankful these patients can be.

5. What state do you practice in?
Virginia

Members don't see this ad :)
Neuro is my passion, but finding jobs in a neuro setting is very difficult. any advice on how to find them?

Neuro is my passion, but finding jobs in a neuro setting is very difficult. any advice on how to find them?

The ANPT website has a career center, but honestly the best thing I can say is to identify a specialty clinic/hospital and reach out directly to them. Networking in the neuro niche goes a long way at conferences and symposia.

Then the real fun: selling your skill set and potential to try and get the offer letter!

@DopaMiners I will be starting a job very similar to yours in the OP neuro setting as a young clinician. Do you have any resources you recommend in regards to familiarity with modalities/equipment for neuro patients? Additionally, any other resources you frequent that you feel would help a young clinician entering this specialty field of PT?

@DopaMiners I will be starting a job very similar to yours in the OP neuro setting as a young clinician. Do you have any resources you recommend in regards to familiarity with modalities/equipment for neuro patients? Additionally, any other resources you frequent that you feel would help a young clinician entering this specialty field of PT?

Equipment for neuro patients is a tough one because it's so broad. Was there a specific modality/equipment piece you were considering?

I think Bioness (FES), Restorative Therapies (FES Cycle), Permobil (Power/Manual wheelchairs, seating cushions, etc.) have useful educational components to their websites. Bracing is highly complex but Ottobock has some useful info on their site, though I recommend gait specific training (HIGHLY recommend anyone who has not heard Walt Weiss before check him out in Florida this fall at Brooks Rehab)

My most recommended resources for neuro clinicians:
Movement Disorder Society - educational roadmap
. Seriously, if you treat patients with Parkinson's or movement disorders....join the society. It's $100 but the CEU quality is unrivaled.
APTA EDGE documents
RESNA position papers
ACRM PM&R Archive
for articles across multiple settings/diagnoses

Hi! Do you have recommendations for how to best prepare prior to start of neuro residency? My school was not neuro-heavy and I was only permitted one neuro clinical so any advice is much appreciated!

What do they look for in a candidate to accept a resident for their program? (general residency question)