Interested in SMDEP 2012 Program. A lot of questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VasiliyK

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand there is a few threads already going along about the SMDEP 2012 program, but I have so many questions and I feel like my specific case is different from most. This is actually for my brother who is interested in the program, so let me give you a bit of background.
First of: on the SMDEP website it states:

"To be eligible for SMDEP, an applicant must:
be currently enrolled as a freshman or sophomore in college"

My brother is 17 years old. He will be 18 in May 2012. He was home schooled and went to a community college. As of right now (Fall "11 semester) he has 60.0 semester units completed and taking 17.5 units this semester. He will be getting his A.S. degree this Dec. "11.

With so many units, will he be qualified as a sophomore?
The way the community college looks at it, the classes he was taking while in HS, he was a concurrent student. Fall "11 is his OFFICIAL Full-Time college student semester and to them he is a "freshman" although he will be transferring Fall "12 as a JUNIOR to a 4-year school. Confusing, I know!

He qualifies for everything else and I know they will start taking applications Nov. 1. He has an almost perfect GPA and he was not taking easy classes either! He has all the Anatomy, Physiology, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Chemistry classes done with.

I appreciate all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

One more thing: Do any of you know any other summer medical programs? I can't afford anything expensive for him so just wondering if there are other programs similar to this. Thanks!

Hah, I was in the same situation earlier (not for an SMDEP though), Homeschooled, graduated early, took a bunch of classes at a CC. Anyways, it's really dependent on the program your looking at to qualify as a freshman/soph/junior etc.
First off, you should call/email someone who works at the program for specifics on this.
Second, since this is his first full time semester, and everything before was dual enrollment, then I'd definitely qualify him as a freshman this year.