Interesting GPA/MCAT grid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can't believe that no one has replied to this!

That is a really great chunk of information. (Both what it says, and the fact that it is broken down like this...)

How do you think Science GPA weighs in?

Assume the sci gpa is .1 to .2 lower than the posted?

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't really tell a different story than has been repeated many times. The higher your GPA and MCAT, the better your chances of acceptance. This table just quanitfies it with some numbers, and even that from just 1 school. Anything that gives particular percentages is suspect becuase the process also depends on other things.

Cheers,
Captjack

well. except those in the middleish gpa area and high mcat area seem to have a greater percentage of acceptances....

Originally posted by CaptainJack02
...even that from just 1 school.

I suppose that's true. However, it's UC Berkeley, which probably is comparable to my undergrad institution in terms of reputation - which may or may not make a difference.

I agree, though, it's not really new information, just presented in an interesting way, and very specific.

prg6315, thanks. That's more great info, although it tells a harsher story for my situation. Ah well, gotta keep the faith.

I found it very interesting to note the sharp drop in acceptance % below a 3.4.

Maybe this information has been told (and retold) before, but I hadn't heard that if there was anything resembling a "GPA cutoff" out there it was @ 3.4.

Originally posted by Pinkertinkle
Assume the sci gpa is .1 to .2 lower than the posted?
I think you're probably right.

Ok, here's my situation: When I apply, my science GPA will be around 3.6-3.7. My overall will be 3.3-3.4. What GPA range should I use on these charts as the most accurate predictor of my odds of acceptance?

Obviously using the overall GPA would be the most conservative estimate, but I'm looking for the most accurate prediction.

Thanks!

I think the sample size is too small to generate an accurate prediction. Just be glad you don't have my 2.95 overall GPA...

Probably the entire AAMC data set is better for prediction, although as practically everyone keeps saying, it doesn't depend only on GPA and MCAT.

Originally posted by liverotcod
I think the sample size is too small to generate an accurate prediction. Just be glad you don't have my 2.95 overall GPA...

Probably the entire AAMC data set is better for prediction, although as practically everyone keeps saying, it doesn't depend only on GPA and MCAT.
That's certainly true...

One the other hand, if I hit my hoped-for MCAT score, and 86% of 30+ and 91% of 35+ are accepted at Cornell, that would certainly influence my decision to apply there!

Is there a chart out there with all of the AAMC data broken down like this?

it's interesting that there is little change in probability of acceptance with GPA's in the range of 3.8>GPA>3.4

Too bad it doesnt ahve a larger sample size.

Originally posted by SailCrazy
...my hoped-for MCAT score...

Don't you mean your MCAT goal :laugh: (inside joke?)

Here's the AAMC site.

I actually think that both the Berkeley and Cornell sites represent their *undergraduates* success in applying to all medical schools, rather than their own medical schools' data, if that makes sense.

Don't you mean your MCAT goal :laugh: (inside joke?)
I almost wrote that - but caught myself...

Wouldn't that have been embarrassing! :rolleyes:

I actually think that both the Berkeley and Cornell sites represent their *undergraduates* success in applying to all medical schools, rather than their own medical schools' data, if that makes sense.

Oh! That's a BIG difference... I didn't realize that was what we were seeing. Thanks for the clarification.

So there was someone from Cornell with a 3.8-3.89 with a 30-34 MCAT who didn't get in at all! Bummer...