interesting questions you have come across during your interviews.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Demeter

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are some questions you should expect during an interview; Why did you choose our program? Why did you choose this specialty? What are your strengths/ weaknesses? ....

What are some of the more interesting questions you have been asked during your interviews?

Here are a couple I have heard:

What is a weakness you see in our program?

If a friend of yours would be asked to describe you in 3 words what would he say?

Members don't see this ad.

A few unique ones that only came up once or twice in my interviews were:

favorite movie?
favorite book?
biggest pet peeve?
what do you not like about your dental school?
what famous person would you like to eat dinner with?
what superpower would you like to have?
what's the most recent orthodontic journal article you've read?
what do your dental school friends think about OEC?
what do you think about the price of oil?
why should ortho residents take gross anatomy (or any other basic science)?

Ironically, "why do you want to be an orthodontist?" only came up a couple times also.

Although I didn't get this, I had heard some applicants were asked about small details (almost trivial fluff) in their CV presumably to make sure they weren't making stuff up.

This may sound crazy, but after a couple of interviews, the process seemed so monotonous I almost looked forward to some off-the-wall questions.

I was asked: "If you could have any power, what would it be." In hindsight maybe 'the ability ot leap tall building in a single bound,' etc. etc. wasn't the answer that interviewer was looking for. :)