Interesting Story...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WannabeDoctor91

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to a really good undergrad school (HYPSM). I am currently a freshman.

Unfortunately, my mother became really ill during my finals in winter, and I decided to return home to be with my family during these difficult times.

I have stayed by my mother's bedside almost incessantly since I returned home, and I have been marveled by her doctors. The care and hope they bring to her is remarkable, and they are an inspiration to me.

I never knew what I wanted to be growing up, but I now want to be a doctor. It may seem kind of corny, but I genuinely want to spend my life helping people like my mother's doctors have helped her.

Her condition is not improving, and I have decided to take a leave next year, as well, in order to be with her.

However, I also want to complete coursework, and I was thinking that it might be a good idea for me to take my pre-med requirements at the local state university (Top 50). I know from speaking with kids in my dorm that they are insanely hard at my home institution. I am also more of a "fuzzy" than a "techie."

However, I have heard that taking your pre-meds outside of your degree-seeking school can raise a flag among admissions committees. Is this true?

Is taking them back home a good idea, or will it make it difficult for me to become a doctor? Any thoughts on my idea?

Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

WannabeDoctor91 said:
However, I also want to complete coursework, and I was thinking that it might be a good idea for me to take my pre-med requirements at the local state university (Top 50). I know from speaking with kids in my dorm that they are insanely hard at my home institution. I am also more of a "fuzzy" than a "techie."

However, I have heard that taking your pre-meds outside of your degree-seeking school can raise a flag among admissions committees. Is this true?

Is taking them back home a good idea, or will it make it difficult for me to become a doctor? Any thoughts on my idea?

A lot of people take coursework outside their main school at the local state school. This is not a big deal. You're not trying to avoid a hard pre-req at your main school by taking it at an easier place - you are merely trying to take a class close home so you can be with your sick mother. No one would dare slap you on the hand for doing such a thing. Do not worry.

Other people choose to take classes over the summer at their state school for financial reasons. This is also acceptable. As long as the main intent isn't, "Well, Orgo at my school is too hard so I will take it at a community college", then it shouldn't be too much of a red flag... and seeing as how you said your state school is a top 50, you will be fine.

So, I would give this situation the green light and I think you should take the pre-req at the state school. In your application in the future, definitely make sure to cite your reason for doing this. It shouldn't be a problem.

By the way, I hope your mom gets well soon!!
Best of luck to you.

Sorry About Your Mom...in Terms Of Where You Take Those Courses It Does Not Matter, Despite What Some Sdners Would Have You Believe. Top 50 Top Top...top It Does Not Matter! So Long As You Get A's And A Good Mcat Score As Well As Do Well On Your Interviews....you See That Is Where All The Top This Top That People Get Tripped Up. People Forget That A Vast Majority Of People That Want To Be Doctors Can Do The Work, It's Personality And True Empathy For Humans Thatcount!!! Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to Penn and took all but two of my pre-med classes at UNLV (home state school). I had no problem getting into a couple of schools. I can't see why it would be an issue as long as you do well at your state school when you take the reqs.

WannabeDoctor91 said:

Unfortunately, my mother became really ill during my finals in winter, and I decided to return home to be with my family during these difficult times.

I have stayed by my mother's bedside almost incessantly since I returned home, and I have been marveled by her doctors. The care and hope they bring to her is remarkable, and they are an inspiration to me.

I never knew what I wanted to be growing up, but I now want to be a doctor. It may seem kind of corny, but I genuinely want to spend my life helping people like my mother's doctors have helped her.

Her condition is not improving, and I have decided to take a leave next year, as well, in order to be with her.

Thank you for your help.

What does HYPSM stand for?

Taking classes outside of main school no prob at all.

riceman04 said:
What does HYPSM stand for?

Taking classes outside of main school no prob at all.

Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, MIT.

OP, I think you have a good plan. I doubt med schools will look down on you for sticking around to help your mom. Good luck, and I hope your mom gets better soon!

Thank you everyone for your opinions and well wishes.

As a follow-up, would it matter if I took them at community college versus the Top-50 state school?

I know that they will be easier at the state school than at my home HYPSM institution, but I also know that they will be much harder than at the community college because they are "weed out" courses at the state school.

However, I am guessing med schools would look down on taking them at a community college and would prefer the state school?

Any opinions are very much appreciated. Thank you.

WannabeDoctor91 said:

As a follow-up, would it matter if I took them at community college versus the Top-50 state school?

I know that they will be easier at the state school than at my home HYPSM institution, but I also know that they will be much harder than at the community college because they are "weed out" courses at the state school.

However, I am guessing med schools would look down on taking them at a community college and would prefer the state school?

If possible, I'd say take them at the state school, but the situation as it is, it would be understandable to take them at the community college. The idea is that the level of coursework is different between the two institutions as well as the level of student at each. Making an A in a community college gen chem class of 35 isn't quite the same as making a A in a gen chem class at state with a class of 435. Is it fair? No. Is it 'just the way it is'? Sadly, yes.

:luck:

I refuse to respond to anyone who refers to his undergrad as HYPSM and expects me to know what that means. If you want to name drop, just drop the real name.

WannabeDoctor91 said:

it does not matter!!!! just ace them and do well on your mcat then go to town in your personal statement, you have a unique situation DO WHAT IS BEST FOR THE FAMILY AND YOU WILL BE FINE.

willthatsall said:
I refuse to respond to anyone who refers to his undergrad as HYPSM and expects me to know what that means. If you want to name drop, just drop the real name.
you obviously have not ever read or posted on a college board...that's a well known acronym. however i agree with you about the name dropping.

So sorry to hear about your mom, and i admire your determination toi be with her during her illness. Med schools will definitely understand your choice. I agree with those who said that the school does not matter as much as the courses you take and the grades you get. All the best to you and your mom.

My apologies about the acronym. I used to post on princeton review and everyone uses it there. I didn't mean to name drop, I just wanted to make the point that I go to a school where these classes are super-hard and where I probably would have a tough time in them.

My apologies, and I hope there are no hard feelings.

WannabeDoctor91 said:
My apologies about the acronym. I used to post on princeton review and everyone uses it there. I didn't mean to name drop, I just wanted to make the point that I go to a school where these classes are super-hard and where I probably would have a tough time in them.

My apologies, and I hope there are no hard feelings.

NO I WILL NOT ACCEPT YOUR APOLOGY YOU PRIVATE SCHOOL *****....

jk..... but seriously has anyone seen my lithium, Neurontin and Norpramin i seem to have missed place them somewhere.... O and i hope your mom gets better...

Psycho Doctor said:
you obviously have not ever read or posted on a college board...that's a well known acronym. however i agree with you about the name dropping.

I've been posting/reading this forum for quite a bit - and I've never heard of that silly acronym. Do settle down.

WannabeDoctor91 said:

Thank you for your help.

I wish you and your family the best of luck. As far as how adcoms might look at it, I think it depends on the difference in prestige between your primary and state school. If significant, they may think you took the easier route, but if you explain your situation in your PS, you will be fine. That said, maybe you should just take this time to clear your head and focus on family? But I don't know your position and couldn't tell you what is better for you. Go with your gut though and what feels right. PM me if you have any questions at all with the process. Good luck and I hope everything turns out great!

SitraAchra said:
I've been posting/reading this forum for quite a bit - and I've never heard of that silly acronym. Do settle down.
COLLEGE forum, not med school; it is a well known acronym

I've had some time to think about this, and taking some time off might not be a bad idea. Most people are in a hurry to get through college in 4 years and go straight away to medical school, but there is something to be said about taking time to sort your life out, being with your family when y'all need each other the most, and then going back when you can concentrate and focus on what you're there to do. It will be exponentially easier to explain a few years break in your education than it will to explain a steady stream of poor marks for a few semesters. I'm not suggesting that you wouldn't be capable of performing well, even with your situation, but in order to give yourself the most opportunity to succeed, the best chance to really learn what you are there to gain, and to devote the kind of attention to your family that you'd like, seriously consider taking a break for a little bit.

I should have taken a break when I had the chance. It would have made all the difference in the world.

:luck:

willthatsall said:

Ya honestly. It's not like, if I type, I go to a "BUVWMVDC" school I would expect people to know what that is.

(Berkeley UVa William&Mary Vanderbilt Duke Cornell - these are "overlap" schools that applicants typically apply to in batches, and that's why I grouped them together ;) )

:laugh:

WannabeDoctor91 said:

Thank you for your help.

Forget the grades, your story alone should help you get into med school. Use it for your PS.

Psycho Doctor said:
COLLEGE forum, not med school; it is a well known acronym

He's right, it's well-known.