Intern jobs and changing companies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stark3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just had a question regarding internships. Is it considered bad etiquette to leave a company during an internship and joining another one? Does it look bad on your resume that you jumped ship? I am just wondering because what if a more desirable company had an open position and you already have a position ?

Members don't see this ad.

So I just had a question regarding internships. Is it considered bad etiquette to leave a company during an internship and joining another one? Does it look bad on your resume that you jumped ship? I am just wondering because what if a more desirable company had an open position and you already have a position ?

I'm bumping this thread because I am in the exact same situation. I am in a hospital pharmacy this year of school but I want to get into another program for next year which would be either Kaiser or the VA. My current head supervisor is a cool person that actually would understand, but I imagine it might raise a red flag with the place I am transferring to. The obvious pro would be that at least I do have hospital experience.

I doubt it would be a "Red Flag" that you don't stay with the same employer for 4 years of school. Just make sure you would be able to justify your actions when asked about it later. I can guarantee that the interviewer will ask why you would want to leave your current position. Petty answers like 'they didn't pay enough' or 'I don't get along with my supervisers there' ARE a red flag.