Intern year electives?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Dr.Acula99

Any suggestions for intern year electives? I'll already have two months of ICU and a month of ED, then I have four electives to use. Interested in both critical care and pain possibly down the road.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to be the internist of the OR. Your electives should resemble this. Cardiology and pulmonology are critical. I think radiology helps if you put out the effort.

Reactions: 1 user
is it worth my time to do a pain clinic rotation, or should I just focus on medicine? Any usefulness to doin a surgery rotation?

Members don't see this ad :)
is it worth my time to do a pain clinic rotation, or should I just focus on medicine? Any usefulness to doin a surgery rotation?
Focus on medicine. You'll have more than enough time to focus on anesthesia and its subspecialties.

Do medicine. Cardiology and pulm are no-brainers, but see if you can spend a week or two in the blood bank. It's usually staffed by a hematologist. Transfusion medicine is a big topic that is sometimes hard to wrap your head around. Plus it's nice to know where all those blood products come from when you are calling for a massive transfusion.

Reactions: 1 users
Are both your ICU months MICU? If so I'd try to switch one out for SICU, or maybe even neuro ICU if the patient selection is diverse, you're allowed to do a lot of procedures, and the neurointensivists are good.

Agree with sentiment above about cards and pulm being no brainers. You should know etiology, diagnosis, and general management of HTN, hypertensive urgency/emergency, CAD, ACS, CHF, AS/AI/MS/MR, common dysrhythmias, pulmonary HTN, COPD, asthma, IPF, etc cold by the time you're done with intern year. At any decent tertiary anesthesia training program, every adult patient you touch for the next 3 years will have at least one of these conditions.

Thanks for the replies. My ICU months will be one MICU and one CCU. I'll do a cards and a pulm elective. No opportunity to do SICU or transfusion. Should I just do another two light months. Any thoughts about nephrology?

I picked up an extra CCU month, which I highly recommend. I kind of wish I'd done a cardiac imaging/stress elective, maybe for two weeks. Learn echo basics, get better at looking at caths, different types of stress tests, etc.