Intern year orientation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ignite hardcore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of the current interns or residents may have some insight regarding orientation for intern year, June 15-19 this year. I have a family obligation that week and I was wondering what goes on during orientation and how important this week is?

thank you in advance for your comments.

Members don't see this ad.

Not good to miss it. You'd probably have to get permission from the PD.

Bad way to start off the year.

aren't we only required to spend one year as an intern? if they require you start for early orientation, do you end early? I'm assuming the answer to this is "no" but I wonder what would happen if you fought it? Would you not complete the program because you were not there for 53 weeks, but only 52 weeks?

Members don't see this ad :)
Every program has a slightly different start date and/or orientation date...just email them when you find out where.

Orientation at my program involved getting access codes for email, EMR, ACLS classes, general GME orientation (resident handbook, procedures, policies), parking, ID badges, and I think doing HIPAA for the 5th time. If you will be working at a VA in your internship, you'll probably have a separate orientation to their EMR (even if you're already familiar with it), ID badging, fingerprinting, signing your life over, etc...

It's probably not worth it to miss it, but if you know far in advance, maybe they'll let you do it all on your own time before July 1st....

Your internship PD can call your derm PD and blast you. Of course your internship program can hold you back.

if you think for a second that you could skip orientation, you should plan on an entire year of being dressed down and having your ass pretty much handed to you.

you can certainly ask if you can start late because of this obligation, but unless you are part of a wedding party, it is unlikely that they will care that much. you might get lucky however. i would be prepared to have them count it as part of your vacation time, however.