Intern Year Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShowtimeKaner88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
No I'm not planning on studying anything significantly between now and starting, but looking for advice/recommendations from current residents and faculty specifically regarding trauma off-service preparations.

I have an orientation month for July at my program and then I immediately jump into Trauma. I will have ATLS before orientation month, but I'm wondering if there are any resource recommendations and/or preparatory material I can use to jump into trauma and not be completely inept. Even though I'm sure I will be plenty inept to begin with.

Advice is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Enjoy your time off and then cram like crazy. If you want to study, pick up a basic emergency medicine text book and pretty much memorize every common work up and treatment. I did that in the first part of my intern year and it help tons. Also start with a set of review questions (Rosh review, etc.) and work through all of those.

Don't overdo it. You'll be studying for the rest of your life if you're any good.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
C3 pods are great, wish I got into them earlier. Don’t study for ATLS, you’ll be fine when the time comes. It’s more important for the surgeons anyways.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
People should understand you won't know much as an intern. As long as you work hard, are/act interested, ask for help when you need it, and make an effort youll be fine.

Wouldn't stress trauma, they'll teach you everything in ATLS. The correct answer in ATLS is just airway, airway airway airway +/- needle decompression/chest tube.

Although just background knowledge to have, the C3s are great. The chest pain and dizziness episodes I think are particularly good.