Internal Medicine in Northwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

takeitdownanotch

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
First and foremost, congrats to all of you who matched today! I'm currently a third year medical student who's interested in IM in Northwestern. However, I see that it is quite competitive. I have a 236 on my Step 1 and so far I've honored all my clerkships except Peds (god knows how much i hated it). The basic sciences years were... meh. I wasn't a straight A student but never got a C as a final grade. And I'm involved in all the extracurricular shenanigans. Not AOA, though. Opinions? Guidance? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
First and foremost, congrats to all of you who matched today! I'm currently a third year medical student who's interested in IM in Northwestern. However, I see that it is quite competitive. I have a 236 on my Step 1 and so far I've honored all my clerkships except Peds (god knows how much i hated it). The basic sciences years were... meh. I wasn't a straight A student but never got a C as a final grade. And I'm involved in all the extracurricular shenanigans. Not AOA, though. Opinions? Guidance? Thanks!

If you are specifically interested in them rather than just that tier of programs, do the usual stuff--try to do better on CK relative to step 1, publish some research, honor as much stuff as you can, consider doing an away there.

NW is a well-regarded, academic program w/ rigorous standards for interview.

For such a program, your step 1 is okay but below their average, your clinical grades are excellent. Your school name, ties to the midwest, amount of research, and quality of letters (and caliber of writer) will play big parts moving forward.

And as above, while risky, doing an away there and rocking it could be your way in.