International Dental Grad/Orthodontist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maria_Srb

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a dentist and an Orthodontist from Europe, Serbia, moved to the US recently. I have graduated in Orthodontics in 2014, otherwise have a total of 10 years of experience in practicing dentistry.
Does anyone out there know what would be the best (and shortest) way to start practicing Orthodontics in the US now? Do I have to go to a US dental school for 2-3 years to obtain a US DDS degree first or can I apply for Orthodontics residency right after NBDE's and TOEFL?
Thank you in advance. Maria.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a dentist and an Orthodontist from Europe, Serbia, moved to the US recently. I have graduated in Orthodontics in 2014, otherwise have a total of 10 years of experience in practicing dentistry.
Does anyone out there know what would be the best (and shortest) way to start practicing Orthodontics in the US now? Do I have to go to a US dental school for 2-3 years to obtain a US DDS degree first or can I apply for Orthodontics residency right after NBDE's and TOEFL?
Thank you in advance. Maria.

You are an orthodontist. I would suggest to apply for ortho residency programs. First. Via pass program. It's different from caapid. If you get accepted then go ahead. If not then you will have to get into DDS program. In some specific states you can practice after residency. Ortho is very competitive to get into even for local dentists. So you should try for both.