Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

International Malpractice Coverage

Discussion in 'Family Medicine' started by BigNavyPedsGuy, 12.09.09.

  1. BigNavyPedsGuy

    BigNavyPedsGuy Junior Member

    Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member

    SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)

    I'm new to this forum, but have been lurking a bit. I'm currently a resident with an opportunity to spend a month at a peds HIV clinic in Swaziland Africa. My institution insists that I have malpractice coverage, but won't provide it. The organization that I'm going with doesn't provide it and states that hundreds of people have done this and not needed coverage.

    Does anyone here know about some sort of temporary coverage for overseas activities that I can purchase for this month long trip?

  2. EdibleEgg

    EdibleEgg Member

    Attending Physician
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I haven't done a lot of international work, but you really need to check into the situation in the county where you are practicing. Some places have a physician organization that can help (I bought a year long policy in one country for 400 dollars). I don't know of any generic "cover you anywhere" policies, if they exist I expect they would be cost prohibative. Good luck.
  3. Saipan

    Saipan Junior Member

    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Third world countries have very weak legal systems. The court systems are swayed by money, and as such the poor are easily intimidated.

    Most doctors going to third world countries for electives, medical missions etc don't get malpractice coverage because they can get by easily without it.

    Poor, uneducated patients may have complaints but they are unlikely to find a sympathetic ear in a third world legal system that only accepts cash.

    If the patient can find a legal sponsor who smells the possibility of cash, then you can count on your sponsoring organization for protection. They may legally protect you, they may pay off the complainant, they may intimidate the complainant or (most likely) thay will simply advise you to cut your visit short and return to your home country.

    Unfortuanately your home institution doesn't accept the reality of life in a third world nation and is asking for paperwork coverage that will be hard to find.

    You may have to find a new elective rotation.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal