International med transfer to american med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Struvite

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was curious about this and hoping someone can respond with any opinions. I am currently a us-IMG. I have recently finished my second year of med school and have already taken my step 1 and received my scores. However, I am curious about those who have transferred or gotten into an american med school in the states as i am interested in this option. So I am wondering: if you already finished taking the step 1 with a slightly low step 1 (~205) and are somehow given the opportunity to study in a DO school with the caveat that you had to start over med school from year 1, would you do it?

Members don't see this ad.

What's the goal? If your goal is to practice in the US, your odds are better coming from a US school. A 205 closes the doors on a lot of things to start with, so every advantage helps. Trying to land a US residency as an IMG with a low step 1 isn't the place you really ever want to be. Are you asking hypothetically or do you actually have this opportunity? Because the odds of transferring from IMG to US tend not to be realistic.

Was curious about this and hoping someone can respond with any opinions. I am currently a us-IMG. I have recently finished my second year of med school and have already taken my step 1 and received my scores. However, I am curious about those who have transferred or gotten into an american med school in the states as i am interested in this option. So I am wondering: if you already finished taking the step 1 with a slightly low step 1 (~205) and are somehow given the opportunity to study in a DO school with the caveat that you had to start over med school from year 1, would you do it?

Damn right I would!

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the goal? If your goal is to practice in the US, your odds are better coming from a US school. A 205 closes the doors on a lot of things to start with, so every advantage helps. Trying to land a US residency as an IMG with a low step 1 isn't the place you really ever want to be. Are you asking hypothetically or do you actually have this opportunity? Because the odds of transferring from IMG to US tend not to be realistic.

I guess my goal overall is to do primary care whether FM, IM, or peds. Was just thinking about it bc i know a lot of ppl are saying to get as high score on the steps for risk of not matching. Now that im in this situation im just thinking about my future in two years when i actually graduate and just thinking about the prospect of not matching even to psych (not trying to impy anything wrong with psych) when I get back. I heard from many people that the adcoms for residency would look at your whole package, so just paranoid that the low step is pretty much a "death sentence". Its hypothetical at this point, but to be honest i guess i would like just a bit of reassurance about my score or just give up. Thanks

I guess my goal overall is to do primary care whether FM, IM, or peds. Was just thinking about it bc i know a lot of ppl are saying to get as high score on the steps for risk of not matching. Now that im in this situation im just thinking about my future in two years when i actually graduate and just thinking about the prospect of not matching even to psych (not trying to impy anything wrong with psych) when I get back. I heard from many people that the adcoms for residency would look at your whole package, so just paranoid that the low step is pretty much a "death sentence". Its hypothetical at this point, but to be honest i guess i would like just a bit of reassurance about my score or just give up. Thanks

I'm not sure how reassuring anyone can be. The only way you are going to know if things are possible is really to play out your hand as dealt. Some people have managed with low scores from offshore schools, but nobody ought to kid you and tell you you aren't in an awful position. I doubt you will be able to transfer.

I'm not sure how reassuring anyone can be. The only way you are going to know if things are possible is really to play out your hand as dealt. Some people have managed with low scores from offshore schools, but nobody ought to kid you and tell you you aren't in an awful position. I doubt you will be able to transfer.

Thank you, this i guess this part is what ill have to walk away with and accept what i have done and just do better i. The future. Thanks again!

NOT going to happen at my school. We take a dim view of rejects or refugees from the Carib schools. If you wanted to be a DO, you should have applied to DO schools from the get-go.

So I am wondering: if you already finished taking the step 1 with a slightly low step 1 (~205) and are somehow given the opportunity to study in a DO school with the caveat that you had to start over med school from year 1, would you do it?[/QUOTE]

NOT going to happen at my school. We take a dim view of rejects or refugees from the Carib schools. If you wanted to be a DO, you should have applied to DO schools from the get-go.

So I am wondering: if you already finished taking the step 1 with a slightly low step 1 (~205) and are somehow given the opportunity to study in a DO school with the caveat that you had to start over med school from year 1, would you do it?
[/QUOTE]

No offense goro but you completely misunderstood my question. And your assumption that I'm a reject, a refugee, or even goto a caribbean school goes to show how superfluous you feel the need to boost your own ego that "your school" is some world class premiere school that sets the high standards in med school.

Reactions: 1 user
US schools don't much care if your offshore school is Carib or Europe or Israel or Mexico or Philippines or whatever. You're offshore. If you get called Carib, who cares. There's no difference, not to the people (residency PD's) who are between you and residency.

I have a hard time seeing how a DO redo is going to improve things for you. You can't take step 1 again, but you have to disclose your ~205 with test date, and then you have to explain it. Add success at a DO school and a good COMLEX to that story and it's not a better story.

My recommendation is to grow a pair. Stop taking offense at what anonymous people on SDN say, and try to understand the situation you're in so you can make the best of it.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
Which one is it? The G stands for "graduate"...but you say you're in your second year? Kind of a contradiction there.

I am currently a us-IMG. I have recently finished my second year of med school and have already taken my step 1 and received my scores.

Well, which one is it? Do you go to a Carib school or not? Somewhere else Or are you a troll? If your score Step I score is is really in a 205, that's the 17th %ile...you've barely passed. So, you're not looking at residency at Mass General anytime soon.

And your assumption that I'm a reject, a refugee, or even go to a caribbean school

If you came here for advice, so you're not going to get hugs and kisses. You made your bed, and now you're going to have to lie in it. Who knows, maybe LUCOM will take you.

No offense goro but you completely misunderstood my question. And your assumption that I'm a reject, a refugee, or even goto a caribbean school goes to show how superfluous you feel the need to boost your own ego that "your school" is some world class premiere school that sets the high standards in med school.[/QUOTE]

US school much care if your offshore school is Carib or Europe or Israel or Mexico or Philippines or whatever. You're offshore. If you get called Carib, who cares. There's no difference, not to the people (residency PD's) who are between you and residency.

I have a hard time seeing how a DO redo is going to improve things for you. You can't take step 1 again, but you have to disclose your ~205 with test date, and then you have to explain it. Add success at a DO school and a good COMLEX to that story and it's not a better story.

My recommendation is to grow a pair. Stop taking offense at what anonymous people on SDN say, and try to understand the situation you're in so you can make the best of it.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks this is actually the type of advice I needed :)