International Periodontist seeking career advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kyleigh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey.. I am a Periodontist from India with a work experience of 2 years. I am currently in Ann Arbor, Michigan and exploring all the career options I have related to Perio. I am hoping not to do DDS/International DDS as I have spent 5 years in a specialty field. I am open to entering into Clinical, Research and Academia but I was really really hoping to stay connect to Perio or Implantology or other related fields.

Is there anyone out there that has faced similar issues? I would love to connect and hear more about your story. I am feeling a little overwhelmed with options and the different rules of different states but I want to make sure I don't waste any time and start working towards my goal - whatever that may be!

Also, if I repeat my MS in Periodontics, what would be my job prospects? Would I be able to teach? Or would I be able to join a university's Research teams?

I have a lot of questions so any sort of answers or guidance would be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot for all your time

Members don't see this ad.

What are you doin in Michigan ?? Are u settled in US ? How old are you ? will answer all yur Q

It sure is overwhelming.....!!!!!You can start by taking the National Boards. You will need them any which way you decide to take...MS or DDS :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey... Thanks a lot for quick reply. I live in Ann Arbor, Michigan and yea i have permanently shifted my base to the US. I am 28 years old. Can i get in touch with you?

First be specific but not to specific think of where is it better for you to live, see here to be a dentist you have to think first on which state is better to adquire your license. so in a nut shell choose 3 states that are more suitable for you.

Second figure out there riquierments usually
1) written examination NBDE part 1 and 2
2) University Program some states requiere you to have a degree (Dental Diploma from a accredited school) some others just a cerfificate and some others to do a specialty program such as periodontics, AEGD, Orthodontics, Prothodontics etc. almost all programs are either 2 to 4 years of duration at max.
3) State Test, either a bench or a regional board test some even state law tests.

Third Once all the above are completed you can apply for your license and get it.

it is very :scared: at first thats why I reccomend you being specific about the state that way you can decide what programs you can apply and in to what schools, usually you would want to study in the same state you plan to live but the bottom line and the hardest thing to accomplish is to get accepted in a program, so where ever you get accepted there you will go!!!

It takes time but if you got your mind set it is possible.
I have already past part 1 taking part 2 in july and sending applications this year this has taken me 2 years but my situation is hard 2 kids a wife and I am working. so Ill go slowly but surely. Good Luck!!!

Kyleigh... hi I am somewhat in your situation today except that i am Indian Resident and I m here in US (Ohio) for about 2-3 months.
I am in dilemma,
whether to repeat my MS in Periodontics or do Phd or both combined in US.
Can I get a scholarship for the tuition fees as I won't be able to afford on my own?
what after MS ? job prospects? I would be interested in an university job than private practice.
Some schools don't require me to do DDS, all I have to give is TOEFL and interview for MS. but later on do I need to give exam for state licence even if I would like to be in an University job as a professor or faculty?
Is it possible to work here as a research assistant to an ongoing research related to perio in the university? what do I have to do for that? If i get this then I think it would buy me some time to decide to pursue Phd or MS.

I like the curriculum followed here in MS residency as its more advanced and intensive surgically.
I really need some guidance and direction.. its been 2 years since u asked this question I hope u can help me now.
Also other members plz plz please give me an insight
thanx

Kyleigh... hi I am somewhat in your situation today except that i am Indian Resident and I m here in US (Ohio) for about 2-3 months.
I am in dilemma,
whether to repeat my MS in Periodontics or do Phd or both combined in US.
Can I get a scholarship for the tuition fees as I won't be able to afford on my own?
what after MS ? job prospects? I would be interested in an university job than private practice.
Some schools don't require me to do DDS, all I have to give is TOEFL and interview for MS. but later on do I need to give exam for state licence even if I would like to be in an University job as a professor or faculty?
Is it possible to work here as a research assistant to an ongoing research related to perio in the university? what do I have to do for that? If i get this then I think it would buy me some time to decide to pursue Phd or MS.

I like the curriculum followed here in MS residency as its more advanced and intensive surgically.
I really need some guidance and direction.. its been 2 years since u asked this question I hope u can help me now.
Also other members plz plz please give me an insight
thanx

Hi everyone, do anyone know that foreign trained post-graduate dentists do not require to give nbde part 1 and they are eligible to give nbde part 2 directly??

Hi everyone,
Do anyone know that foreign trained post-graduate dentists require to give nbde part 1 Or they are eligible to give nbde part 2 directly to get into DDS ??

Hi everyone,
Do anyone know that foreign trained post-graduate dentists require to give nbde part 1 Or they are eligible to give nbde part 2 directly to get into DDS ??
I don't understand your question. Can you explain more?

I am a Post Graduate dentist in India with a 1-year post-PG experience. For clinical practice in USA, do I need to give NBDE part 1 exam first or I can give NBDE part 2 exam directly?

As far as I know, you cannot skip NBDE-1 and take NBDE-2 directly for any reason. But best thing to do is to contact ADA/JCNDE directly with your question. Please share your findings because it is good-to-know for other dentists too. Good Luck!

I don't understand your question. Can you explain more?
I am a Post Graduate dentist in India with a 1-year post-PG experience. For clinical practice in USA, do I need to give NBDE part 1 exam first or I can give NBDE part 2 exam directly?

As far as I know, you cannot skip NBDE-1 and take NBDE-2 directly for any reason. But best thing to do is to contact ADA/JCNDE directly with your question. Please share your findings because it is good-to-know for other dentists too. Good Luck!
Thank you :) I will share my findings soon..