International student personal statement dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

htdt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an international student applying to dental school this summer, and I have a dilemma trying to write my personal statement. I don't know if I should say that I want to practice dentistry here in the States or go back to my home country. In my personal statement, I make it clear that I want to go into dentistry after going on dental charity trips in rural areas of my country and witnessing the lack of dental care there. Therefore, it'd make sense if I want to go home and provide care to people in my country after I graduate. But I heard that US dental schools wouldn't want to invest in someone who would eventually work somewhere else instead of here. If I have to answer this question truthfully, I'd say that I want to practice in the States first to pay off my loans, and later in life I'll go back to my home country when I'm older/more established. How should I proceed in my personal statement? Please help me!

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to practice in your home country, why wouldn't you go to school there? I'm almost positive it will be cheaper and easier to get into.

If you want to practice in your home country, why wouldn't you go to school there? I'm almost positive it will be cheaper and easier to get into.
My entire family will eventually immigrate here in a few years, that's why I came here for college and now dental school. Again, I want to practice here in the States for a good chunk of my life and maybe come back later. Can someone please help me with my question?

Members don't see this ad :)
International student here as well. Though I did not mention anything about going back home or got inspired by the lack of dental care in my country. I think it's crucially for us foreign folk to make it clear we want to stay here in the states and practice. Despite your desire in helping people back there, I recommend to just say the lack of dental care in rural areas help you realize there are places here in the states also need your help, and if you really want to help people in your country, let's make it like you will get there on mission trips occasionally. Do you mind if I ask where are you from and where will you be applying ?

Another factor to consider is eventually your family will migrate here, there should be no point to go back and practice in homeland. Like I said, you could bring it up like going on mission trips or voluntary mission occasionally.

A ps is not a legally binding contract.

Reactions: 1 user
Whether it is a legally binding contract or not the better point would be if it is beneficial to add in your personal statement? I personally would say leave it out that you want to practice out of the U.S. It is also later in your life as you said so there wouldn't be a point mentioning it in my opinion. Write a passionate personal statement and good luck! I believe in you.

Reactions: 1 users
Whether it is a legally binding contract or not the better point would be if it is beneficial to add in your personal statement? I personally would say leave it out that you want to practice out of the U.S. It is also later in your life as you said so there wouldn't be a point mentioning it in my opinion. Write a passionate personal statement and good luck! I believe in you.
A little more smoke blowing their way is hardly going to cloud their judgement.

Thanks everyone for their responses. Again, I wouldn't mention it in the PS if not because a big point in my PS is how I was drawn to dentistry after the dental charity trip in my country. My PS would be much duller if I leave it out, so I have to include it somehow without sounding like I'll run off to my country right after I graduate. Anyone has any idea of how to do this?

I would spend a paragraph to explain the situation, how you got on the trip, what did you see and learn to yourself that help you realize to pursue dentistry

Talk about how it was an eye opening experience to helping he needy and to the field of dentistry. How this trip was WHY dentistry was a good fit for you. Maybe not as dramatic but you get my drift.