International Student with International Undergraduate Degree Plan to Get a Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrKaramMD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like advice from you all, I am Karam from Egypt. I am a medical student at Cairo University, Egypt, but I stopped immediately after the third year and decided to take a gap year in August 2022 to prepare to apply to universities in the US, specifically ivy schools, and during this year I shadowed neurosurgeons in my University Hospitals, and during this year I was volunteered as a research assistant at a number of top universities such as Weill Cornell, Cambridge, and McMaster, and I took more than one competitive college preparation program at UPenn and... MIT and I am currently applying to “early action” universities. If I am unsuccessful, I will apply to another university in Egypt to study at the undergraduate degree in Egypt in a non-scientific specialty (Linguistics and Languages; Major: English, Minor: German) to eligible to applying in Post Baccalaureate Programs, and in parallel I will apply to obtain some courses (undergraduate courses) at Purdue University (undergraduate online program) After completing my undergraduate degree in Egypt in parallel with the undergraduate courses registered at Purdue University, I plan to apply to the Post Baccalaureate Programs to complete the medical school classes for two years and then apply to medical schools (MD-Ph.D.), What do you think ?

**My plans as a whole I want to do a match in Neurosurgery at University of Miami Residency Program or Mass General**

Members don't see this ad.

I would like advice from you all, I am Karam from Egypt. I am a medical student at Cairo University, Egypt, but I stopped immediately after the third year and decided to take a gap year in August 2022 to prepare to apply to universities in the US
Welcome. Let's slow down.

Why don't you finish at Cairo? You are already halfway done. Finish and prepare to apply as a foreign medical graduate. You could do some observerships at hospitals in the US as auditions . I don't know why you want to set yourself back at least 10 years.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You won't be able to apply Early Action to the ivy league undergraduate colleges. Those are designed for high school students. Since you have already begun your undergraduate degree, you'd need to apply as a transfer student. The chances of getting accepted are very low, especially for internationals. The transfer application deadline is typically in Feb/March and you'll have an answer by early summer. Keep in mind that the financial aid for transfer students is very limited.

Your other option is to finish MBBS in Egypt and then apply for a post-bac program in the US. But as others have pointed out, that doesn't make a lot of sense because you could apply directly for residency.

Reactions: 1 users