Internship as an International student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ebuni-Bunni

Reaction score
I am an international student in a clinical psychology program, getting ready to apply to internship at Post Match starting in March. My school has not completed APA accreditation requirements, our site visit is end of January.

I am so confused as to the procedure for international students on Match as I am the first international student from my program. Anyone care to comment on their experiences as international students applying for Match. I would appreciate any tips or information you have to share.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I did it a few years ago.

It's prettymuch the same through the match, other than that you cannot apply to certain sites (VA, DoD). The changes come with paperwork for starting/onboarding, and you need to resign the position one day early so that you use only CPT and not OPT.

If your program is not accredited, do you go into the match? I thought APPIC made it so only accredited programs participate in the match. Maybe that never went through though.

Reactions: 1 user
2020 MATCH ELIGIBILITY

IMPORTANT NOTE: The applicant eligibility information in this section applies to both phases of the 2020 APPIC Match. Please see the following section for eligibility information for the 2020 APPIC Post-Match Vacancy Service.

Applicants
: An applicant is eligible to participate in the APPIC Match if he/she meets ALL of the following requirements:

1. Is matriculating through a doctoral program that is eligible to participate in the APPIC Match. Applicants who have already graduated from their doctoral programs are not eligible. An eligible doctoral program meets one of the following criteria:
    1. The doctoral program is accredited by an eligible accrediting organization (as defined here). Regional or state accreditation or designation by any other entity is insufficient to meet this criterion.
    2. The doctoral program is not accredited but has been granted an initial accreditation site visit by an eligible accrediting organization.
    3. The doctoral program is a re-specialization program in which the underlying doctoral program is accredited by an eligible accrediting organization or in the process of gaining such accreditation, as outlined in the preceding two paragraphs.
    In addition to meeting one of the criteria listed above, an eligible doctoral program must be an APPIC Doctoral Program Associate (DPA) which requires approval by APPIC and the payment of an annual fee.

A list of doctoral programs that are eligible for the Match and/or the Post-Match Vacancy Service (PMVS) can be found here (click on "Eligible Doctoral Programs"). Please note that this list includes doctoral programs that are eligible for participation in the APPIC Match and PMVS, along with doctoral programs that are eligible ONLY for the PMVS (as described in the following section). You should also note that there may be both eligible and ineligible doctoral programs at the same school or university.

While an applicant must be matriculating through an eligible doctoral program, there is NO requirement to be registered or paying tuition for any particular semester in order to be eligible to participate in the Match.

Students who attend Universities outside of the U.S. and Canada should consult the Intern Applicant Policy for participation requirements.
  2. Has not been placed into a position by the APPIC Match and has not accepted or committed to any other internship position.
  3. Has been authorized to participate by her/his doctoral program.
Applicants who meet all three of these requirements are eligible to participate in the APPIC Match. Applicants who do not satisfy these requirements may not register for or participate in the APPIC Match. Students who wish to consult about these requirements may contact the APPIC Match Coordinator, Dr. Greg Keilin, at [email protected] or (512) 410-0002.

Students who are seeking postdoctoral positions may not participate in the APPIC Match, as the Match is for placement into psychology internship positions only.

More information about these requirements may be found in the APPIC Policy on Doctoral Program Associates, the APPIC Intern Applicant Policy, and this FAQ.

Internship Programs: All APPIC-member internship programs are required to participate in the Match. Policies for participation by non-member programs may be found here.

2020 POST-MATCH VACANCY SERVICE (PMVS) ELIGIBILITY

Students who attend doctoral programs that do not meet the criteria described above are NOT eligible to participate in either Phase of the 2020 APPIC Match. However, some of these students will be allowed to participate in the 2020 PMVS as outlined below.

"PMVS-only" participation will be permitted in 2020 for students from doctoral programs that meet the criteria outlined in paragraphs 1a-1c of APPIC's Policy on Doctoral Program Associates and are approved by APPIC. Programs approved by APPIC under these criteria will not be accepted as a "Doctoral Program Associate" (DPA); however, students from these programs will be eligible to participate in the 2020 PMVS (but not the Match). PLEASE NOTE that "PMVS-only" participation by these students is for the 2020 PMVS only and may not be extended to future years.

A list of doctoral programs that are eligible for the Match and/or the PMVS can be found here (click on "Eligible Doctoral Programs"). Please note that this list includes doctoral programs that are eligible for participation in the APPIC Match and PMVS, along with doctoral programs that are eligible ONLY for the PMVS. You should also note that there may be both eligible and ineligible doctoral programs at the same school or university.

Students who are not eligible for the APPIC Match or PMVS may not apply to or attend APPIC-member internship programs.

Reactions: 1 user
I did it a few years ago.

It's prettymuch the same through the match, other than that you cannot apply to certain sites (VA, DoD). The changes come with paperwork for starting/onboarding, and you need to resign the position one day early so that you use only CPT and not OPT.

If your program is not accredited, do you go into the match? I thought APPIC made it so only accredited programs participate in the match. Maybe that never went through though.

Thank you for your feedback. Yes we can go through Match but we are only allowed to apply to the left over sites at Post Match. We still do get amazing sites. One of my colleagues in a cohort a head of me was able to Match to Harvard so there is hope!