Internship extra LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyPsy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I submit an extra letter of rec (4 instead of 3) to sites, does that reflect badly on my application (e.g. didn’t follow directions or something)? I think other applicants have had problems with AAPI as well that once a writer uploads their letter, you can’t delete it (I was under the impression we could pick and choose where the letters went). Thus, many sites will receive 4 instead of 3 letters.

I’ve also found you can just remove a site and add it again, then pick the 3 that you want and your writer’s letter automatically uploads. However, it’s unclear if that impacts your AAPI in any way by doing that? Any feedback is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd advise against it. It's a minor thing and won't make or break your application, but when we reviewed two otherwise equal applicants and only had one spot, the one who followed the directions would get the interview offer.

Reactions: 4 users
If an applicant submits 4 letters to my internship site, we only read the first 3. If the last letter happens to be your best or speaks to an area of your application not covered elsewhere then you're out of luck because it will not be reviewed. As TD I am annoyed if when applicants don't follow directions, but I am not going to throw out the application just because there is an extra letter. That being said, I know of 2 programs that would toss out the application altogether (not sure that would happen this year as TDs are very confused by the new portal and assume applicants are too and, well, it's 2020 so most of us don't have the energy to sweat the small stuff).

Bottom line. Internship applications is not the time to be lazy. If you can fix it, do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I reviewed internship apps last year and recommended rejecting the people who submitted extra materials without being asked. Follow the rules, folks.

Do what is asked. It is asked for a reason. I am not in this role this year, but in prior years I have preferred applicants who followed our sites directions, all things being equal.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s totally fine to delete the site and start over! The only annoying part is it will send your writers another email that you added their letter but aside from that it’s perfectly okay. I’ve done it a few times for different reasons.

If it's a system glitch, I'd potentially email the DOT of the site to let them know. Otherwise, as has been said, try your best to avoid sending anything other than what's explicitly requested. I also ignore the final letter if more than 3 are sent.

I think the unfortunate reality is that with the new APPI, students are getting mixed advice on how to apply and upload material. As a result, many are learning through trial and error, but may in turn unfairly reflect on an applicant's attention to detail.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the unfortunate reality is that with the new APPI, students are getting mixed advice on how to apply and upload material. As a result, many are learning through trial and error, but may in turn unfairly reflect on an applicant's attention to detail.

If it's s systematic problem, it'll likely washout in the end.