Internship in South Africa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDalex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Was wondering if you could help me with some information. I am a South African citizen and want to come back to SA for my internship. I have applied with HPCSA and am awaiting their conformation by the board about weather i can take the exam and get registered. Does anyone know what this exam involves - is it based like USMLE - is it only a multiple choice exam or is there some practical part? I have asked HPCSA but they said they will only publish information about the exam like 1 month before and that hardly leaves a great deal of time to prepare.

Secondly, does anyone know what an intern earns in SA? And lastly if you guys have any other details - whats it really like, is the experience good etc?

Thanks a million :)

Members don't see this ad.

hi there!

I am in the exact situation, so just bumping this post...:)

Hi Guys,

Was wondering if you could help me with some information. I am a South African citizen and want to come back to SA for my internship. I have applied with HPCSA and am awaiting their conformation by the board about weather i can take the exam and get registered. Does anyone know what this exam involves - is it based like USMLE - is it only a multiple choice exam or is there some practical part? I have asked HPCSA but they said they will only publish information about the exam like 1 month before and that hardly leaves a great deal of time to prepare.

Secondly, does anyone know what an intern earns in SA? And lastly if you guys have any other details - whats it really like, is the experience good etc?

Thanks a million :)
Hey guys

I'm a second year intern in South Africa, studied at South African university. About the entrance exam, I only know that there is one, don't know the format, but if I have to look at the foreign doctors in the hospital I work at and how remarkably useless they are, I am sure that if you have two communicating neurons the test should be a breeze!

Internship training is highly variable. If you go to an academic hospital you can possibly end up being a glorified admin clerk, because it is easy to hide. However if you do want to do stuff and you show you are keen they will allow you.
In a smaller regional hospital you can go either way. There are really awesome hospitals (mostly in the Western Cape) that gives you excellent teaching and handson experience. But then you get ones like the hospital I am at: basically run by the interns, senior supervision is pathetic (both with regards to getting hold of the seniors aswell as the quality of advice/guidance given).

So I would say if you want to learn alot, go to a Western Cape regional hospital. If you want academic stimulation, any tertiary complex. Otherwise if you just want to get it over with, choose a place where you will enjoy living.

Current salary is R26 000 after tax, including overtime and excluding rural allowance.

Hope it helps.

PS where did you study?

Members don't see this ad :)
am in the same position. am a foreign medical graduate and want to do residency in surgery please i would love to know my chances of getting a spot .and i can go about it.

Hey guys... do you guys know how much medical intern earn currently after tax? Thanks