Internship vs. Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UDgirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I'll give you guys a little background info...
rising junior in honors program - biomedical engineering major - 3.9 GPA
planning to take the MCAT in January 2017
Have had an engineering internship my summer after freshman year
Have a 2nd internship that began in the middle of my sophomore year and will continue until I graduate (full time during the summer and 15 hours a week during school)
Have shadowed a few doctors from different specialties
Volunteer at a hospital
Went on a medical service trip for a month and plan to do another this year with the same program

I have recently been given the opportunity to work in one of my professors research lab. It would be about 15 hours a week during the school year and full time this summer. I am really interested in the lab and the research being done, and the opportunity to do research for the first time. However, it is completely a volunteer experience, and I am dependent on the money from my internship for school.

I basically have to choose one or the other. I have basically committed to my internship for the next two years, but nothing formal so I could get out of it but would feel like a terrible person to do so. I also need the money. But research seems really cool and interesting.

HELP ME. I really don't know what to do.. and I also want to give myself the best chance of getting accepted to medical school. If I don't do this research I won't have any research experience, but I will have a completely full schedule in and out of school, showing a commit to something that I also enjoy doing.

Please reply and tell me what you think I would appreciate it so much.

Members don't see this ad.

I have recently been given the opportunity to work in one of my professors research lab. It would be about 15 hours a week during the school year and full time this summer. I am really interested in the lab and the research being done, and the opportunity to do research for the first time. However, it is completely a volunteer experience, and I am dependent on the money from my internship for school.

I basically have to choose one or the other. I have basically committed to my internship for the next two years, but nothing formal so I could get out of it but would feel like a terrible person to do so. I also need the money. But research seems really cool and interesting.

I don't think you have a choice to make at all.

Reactions: 1 users
I love research, but not enough to work full time for free for an entire summer.

Another option is to apply for funded research fellowships for this next summer.

Internship. You can always get involved w/ research during med school

Reactions: 1 user