Internships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope_ful_Pharm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to start PY1 at Auburn HSOP this fall, and wanted to know about getting internships. I know I can't get intern license until school starts, but are there places to look for internship positions in pharmacy? How did you guys find your internship positions? Are they worth the time sacrifice during pharmacy school?

Members don't see this ad.

Stop by local pharmacies and ask for the PIC and ask them if they have any openings/desire to have an intern. They are almost becoming a must have during school because they are one of your best bets at securing a job after graduation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stop by local pharmacies and ask for the PIC and ask them if they have any openings/desire to have an intern. They are almost becoming a must have during school because they are one of your best bets at securing a job after graduation.
I thought you have to apply through your school? Like you can't sign up individually?

Last edited:
I thought you have to apply through your school? Like you can't sign up individually?

While things may have changed.. when I was in pharmacy school being a pharmacy "intern" was just being hired on to be a pharmacy technician and coincidentally being in pharmacy school made you an 'intern.'

While things may have changed.. when I was in pharmacy school being a pharmacy "intern" was just being hired on to be a pharmacy technician
And did they ask you to sit for any test such as PTCB before getting hired?

While things may have changed.. when I was in pharmacy school being a pharmacy "intern" was just being hired on to be a pharmacy technician and coincidentally being in pharmacy school made you an 'intern.'
Still the same just can do more. Which I am sure you are well aware of.

Where the **** did you intern? The highest I ever made as an intern was $14.50/hr. Minimum wage was like $8/hr back then.

$16/hr as a P4 at a major academic hospital and major retail chain on the east cost. I have classmates pushing close to $20/hr working for the VA, Kaiser, and grocery chains. Have heard intern wages as low as $9/hr however.

Reactions: 1 user
For internships, are they offered through pharmacy school and how hard is it to get one? I am 2nd year undergrad and I'm just researching the available experience we get during pharm school because I would like a job after I graduate. Thanks

Where the **** did you intern? The highest I ever made as an intern was $14.50/hr. Minimum wage was like $8/hr back then.
If you intern at a hospital with decent size, your initial wage is about $15/hr. Not bad. I have a friend made $19/hr at a chain pharmacy.

While although I haven't started school yet, is there any harm to applying for internships? I've thought about applying for walgreens and cvs, but I'm more interested in hospital/clinical pharmacy. THoughts?

While although I haven't started school yet, is there any harm to applying for internships? I've thought about applying for walgreens and cvs, but I'm more interested in hospital/clinical pharmacy. THoughts?

Absolutely apply. The earlier you start the better off you are.

Reactions: 1 user