Interveiw Anxiety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ileana

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any type of interveiw such as a job interveiw stresses me out immensely, I can't even imagine what I am going to be feeling the day of my medical school admissions interveiw.

I am afraid that I might sound stupid and not say all the right things. Everyone tells me though that it is all in my head because when they hear me speak I sound normal but in the back of my mind I am wondering "what are they thinking about me?" "Did I answer that the best way I could have?" I

I also had a question for you guys, is the interveiw essential for admissions (Of course totally blowing it is out of the question). Exactly how much weight is put on the actual interveiw?

Members don't see this ad.

It's my understanding that the importance of the interview varies to some degree from school to school but of course it's always very important since it's the final step in the process. Some schools consider everyone who reaches the interview stage as "equals," meaning that everything else means nothing at that point--the interview is everything. Other schools will give your interview a "grade" and put it back in your file to be re-evaluated as one component of your overall application, meaning that if you're a strong applicant (on paper) prior to the interview then you don't need to worry as much as a borderline applicant.

Of course, maybe I dunno what I'm talking about... I'm sure someone else would love to chime in. :D

The only advice I can give to someone who is nervous about interviewing is to practice. Search the web for typical interview questions (particularly the SDN interview area) and write the questions down and think about what you want to say for specific questions. For instance, you will definitely be asked "why medicine" in one form or another, so have an answer ready. Have a friend sit down with you and do a mock interview. Or practice in front of the mirror. Some schools have resource centers where you can go and practice interviewing, and then they will videotape it for you and give you constructive criticism, so check and see if your undergrad maybe does this. Just remember that you are not the only one that gets stressed out in that situation...it is a normal reaction.

Members don't see this ad :)
I lot of people recommend that if you have the luxury of scheduling multiple interviews, to schedule your less "important" ones first, so that you can get your nervousness out with the first couple.

I personally have a fear of the unknown, so I've read all of the interview feedback on here for my school and have asked as many people as possible what to expect.

One thing I always do during job interviews and such is to always treat the interviewer as an interesting person that I'm getting to know. The conversation might center around me and my qualifications, but I always make sure to learn a little bit about them too. There is nothing that people enjoy more than talking about themselves and what they do, and they will think that you are a great conversationalist if you make small talk that concerns them. I have had interviews before where the other person actually spent the whole time talking, but I was hired because they got a positive impression from the conversation. It's also a great way to get inside information and gossip about a company/school/your coworkers/etc. ;)

Ileana said:
Any type of interveiw such as a job interveiw stresses me out immensely, I can't even imagine what I am going to be feeling the day of my medical school admissions interveiw.

I am afraid that I might sound stupid and not say all the right things. Everyone tells me though that it is all in my head because when they hear me speak I sound normal but in the back of my mind I am wondering "what are they thinking about me?" "Did I answer that the best way I could have?" I

I also had a question for you guys, is the interveiw essential for admissions (Of course totally blowing it is out of the question). Exactly how much weight is put on the actual interveiw?

Be totally honest, that works b/c itll make u less nervous. Just wing it. I hear that they're good at pickin out liars or "sugar coaters". Also, think of it this way, if ur totally being urself and the school doesnt take u, then maybe its not the right school for you anyway. And having multiple interviews def helps relieve the stress.

Overeducated said:
It's my understanding that the importance of the interview varies to some degree from school to school but of course it's always very important since it's the final step in the process. Some schools consider everyone who reaches the interview stage as "equals," meaning that everything else means nothing at that point--the interview is everything. Other schools will give your interview a "grade" and put it back in your file to be re-evaluated as one component of your overall application, meaning that if you're a strong applicant (on paper) prior to the interview then you don't need to worry as much as a borderline applicant.

Of course, maybe I dunno what I'm talking about... I'm sure someone else would love to chime in. :D

This post is consistent with what I have heard as well. You will certainly see (on SDN and elsewhere) lots of examples people who are extremely good in the interviews breezing into schools ahead of people with somewhat higher numerical stats, so absolutely do not consider the interview as just a formality. Follow the advice of the previous poster who suggested ways to practice. Also, some people have found taking public speaking type courses (stuff like Dale Carnegie or Toastmasters) to be helpful in getting used to talking comfortably in front of strangers. I wouldn't "just wing it" as was suggested by a preceding post -- interviewing is a skill that can be learned and mastered, and it pays to have thought through and practiced your responses so you don't seem uncomfortable or not well thought out. Good luck