Interview Advice & Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrecisionVision

MBKU Southern California College of Optometry 2021
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

This is my first post in the forum. I applied to 5 schools: SCCO, Western, PCO, Midwestern Chicago, and Midwestern Arizona. I recently got an invite to interview at all 5 and will be completing them within the next several weeks. I was wondering if anyone had advice on how the interviews at each school are structured and what type of questions I should expect. Any help will be greatly appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! Most schools seem to be structured with a short breakfast and then the interviews will proceed after wards. The rest of the day is spent on information about the schools curriculum, financial aid, and general information. Most schools will also have a question and answer with current students and then finish off with a campus tour.
As for questions, there are the basic ones such as why optometry, tell me about yourself, greatest weakness, greatest strengths, difference between optician/optometrist/ophthalmologist. Along with those there are probably going to be specific questions about you or your application/essay depending on if it is open (interviewer can see your entire application) or closed file (interviewer only sees your essay). Over all the interview is to see what kind of person you are and if you are doctor material so prepare but also be yourself. Most interviews are conversational rather than a typical job interview.