interview advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meats

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Any advice for DMU and scholl interviews? How was the process and the questions?? anything too stressful?
I've looked at the interview feedback, but there doesn't seem to be much for this year...so thought i'd post a note about it....
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,
Any advice for DMU and scholl interviews? How was the process and the questions?? anything too stressful?
I've looked at the interview feedback, but there doesn't seem to be much for this year...so thought i'd post a note about it....
thanks!

just be yourself, not stressful at all.

have questions at the end, and let the prof/admin/whoever talk about themselves (people who interview love to hear themselves talk :p)

Scholl was 1-on-1 with a DPM and I thought it was quite relaxed. Not a joke like Barry's interview but my interviewer asked me some interesting and thoughtful questions. Overall, it was a great experience.

DMU was 3-on-1 with a DPM, basic sciences professor, and a 3rd year student. I felt my interview went very well but a bit more stressful due to the number of interviewers in the room. The nature of the questions were more challenging and in depth compared to the other pod schools (AZPOD interview is the same style as DMU). Enjoyed my experience there too!

I made up like 3 questions to ask the interviewer(s) for each of my interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys.. i have an interview set up this month at nycpm. any advice from those who already interviewed there? is it one on one? what kind of questions do you ask the interviewer? this will be my first interview. any help is much appreciated :) thankss

First piece of advice, look up nycpm on the interview feedback forums.

I understand most people have 3 one-on-one interviews...thats what I had. A DPM, a basic sciences professor, and a 3rd year student. It was my first pod school interview but I visited and shadowed at the school the summer before the application cycle. The school was really not high on my list to start with but the interview experience itself was good. The day was very quick (3 hours) since I did not have to do the tour. The interviews themselves were relaxed and very low stress. Just be confident and honest with them.

As for questions asking the interviewers, If you have any specific questions about the program, school itself, etc then go ahead. It's really up to you. I tried to be creative which I think most interviewers liked.

PM me if you have more questions about nycpm, interview experience, etc. Good luck!

JEWmongous, what makes you say that the Barry interview was a joke??? Is there anyone who can give me advice about how many people interview at Barry compared to how many are actually accepted? Thanks...

Thanks for feedback =)
If you don't mind me asking, what sort of q's did you ask them?? Obviously you must have made a good impression, since you're accepted to both programs...thanks in advance, if you'd like to share.

JEWmongous, what makes you say that the Barry interview was a joke??? Is there anyone who can give me advice about how many people interview at Barry compared to how many are actually accepted? Thanks...

I guess I can sort of describe my interview experience at Barry...Mr. Weiner (sp?), the lawyer who interviews you...didn't seem to know much about the program when I asked him questions and didn't really ask much about me. Well, he did ask why podiatry and why barry...
He asked me how I like florida, the beach and the palm trees...asked me obvious stuff that I had stated in my application...so, it gave me the feeling that he most likely had not read my personal statement or application.
The tour was given by an undergrad, it was nice to chat with students for a few mins...but not very helpful.
However, after we were officially done with the day, I went back to pod building and introduced myself to a few faculty, who were really nice. I told them I had just been accepted and if they would be willing to talk to me for a few minutes. I pretty much walked into their offices and was surprised by their attitude and eagerness to talk to me. They went over the curriculum, student schedules and talked more about the program. One was nice enough to show me through lecture halls and the anatomy lab...which I really appreciated.
So, the entire interview was a breeze and the official tour was lame. But, I would consider Barry because the basic sciences faculty really impressed me.
Hope this helps...

I guess I can sort of describe my interview experience at Barry...Mr. Weiner (sp?), the lawyer who interviews you...didn't seem to know much about the program when I asked him questions and didn't really ask much about me. Well, he did ask why podiatry and why barry...
He asked me how I like florida, the beach and the palm trees...asked me obvious stuff that I had stated in my application...so, it gave me the feeling that he most likely had not read my personal statement or application.
The tour was given by an undergrad, it was nice to chat with students for a few mins...but not very helpful.
However, after we were officially done with the day, I went back to pod building and introduced myself to a few faculty, who were really nice. I told them I had just been accepted and if they would be willing to talk to me for a few minutes. I pretty much walked into their offices and was surprised by their attitude and eagerness to talk to me. They went over the curriculum, student schedules and talked more about the program. One was nice enough to show me through lecture halls and the anatomy lab...which I really appreciated.
So, the entire interview was a breeze and the official tour was lame. But, I would consider Barry because the basic sciences faculty really impressed me.
Hope this helps...

I second the interview experience. Mr. Weiner is a very friendly guy but does not seem to know very much about the pod program. I asked specifically about first time pass rate on the part 1 boards and was told 96% (which I do not believe is possible). I had the same questions directed to me about location (sunny florida and beaches etc). Seemed like he was reading my application for the first time while we were interviewing. So compared to DMU, AZPOD, and Scholl (for me), the Barry intervew felt like a joke. And as I said, it seems nearly everyone who applies is granted an interview through email like 4 hours after the application it is processed. Furthermore, it seems everyone who interviews at Barry is accepted. All the other pod schools seem to be upping their admissions standards this year and I'm curious if Barry is doing anything.

That's nice you got to meet some of the pod faculty meats. All we had were two students during lunch. At the other pod schools, it seems the tour is either given by podiatry students or people in the pod admissions department. The crappy thing about Barry is our tour guide did not know anything about the pod program.

Scholl was 1-on-1 with a DPM and I thought it was quite relaxed. Not a joke like Barry's interview but my interviewer asked me some interesting and thoughtful questions. Overall, it was a great experience.

DMU was 3-on-1 with a DPM, basic sciences professor, and a 3rd year student. I felt my interview went very well but a bit more stressful due to the number of interviewers in the room. The nature of the questions were more challenging and in depth compared to the other pod schools (AZPOD interview is the same style as DMU). Enjoyed my experience there too!

Excellent idea to have your own questions for the school. Remeber, you should be checking them out as much as they are checking you out. With all of the time and money you will invest over 4 years, see how the schools respond to your questions/ concerns.

Has anybody been interviewed by Temple yet? I have an interview coming up and I was just curious what your experiences were. Any insights or words of advice would be appreciated!

hey guys.. i have an interview set up this month at nycpm. any advice from those who already interviewed there? is it one on one? what kind of questions do you ask the interviewer? this will be my first interview. any help is much appreciated :) thankss

Hello I am a first year at NYCPM class of 2011. Do not stress about the interview be yourself. Usually you will see a presentation about the school and then you will interview with two faculty [DPM] and a student. Depends on how many students are interviewing it may be one faculty and one student. Faculty members are very nice and so are the students. Relax and be honest. You will also get a tour of the school and clinic. They will not ask you crazy questions it will be straight forward. Why podiatry? why you choose this profession general stuff. good luck.

I have interviews scheduled at Barry and Temple scheduled in the next couple of weeks. I have a good MCAT score, but my GPA is low, not too terrible but low (2.8ish). I was looking for advice about the interview if they ask about my grades? Were any of you asked to defend some bad grades? Anything Would be helpful.

it is definitely possible that they will ask you about certain classes or grades you received as an undergrad. just be truthful, explain what happened, and in hindsight what it was you could've done to improve those grades.