Interview attire for women?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desalmada

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If it's all in the details...

We all know that we're supposed to wear a conservative suit and shoes, but I need more help with the details regarding residency attire. Collared shirt or blouse? Do I have to wear a white shirt, can it be a pale color or striped? In the business world, I'd be told to absolutely wear a skirt suit, does it apply in the medical world? Dark or nude hose? Hair up or down?

Sorry for the inane questions, but I am horrible at this kind of stuff. Are certain programs more conservative? Do you think transitional year/prelim year interviews are as formal as categorical?

Members don't see this ad.

skirt suit for sure
not necessary to wear a collared shirt but dont go boring white. i am wearing pearls, hair up or pulled back with a barrette
and nude hose.
it might depend on what you are applying to...i am applying FP.

At first I thought I'd wear a skirt suit, but I really don't wear skirts that much and thought I'd feel more comfortable in a pants suit, especially since I interviewed in January and it was freezing cold with ice on the ground and everything.

I wore a very nice tweed pantsuit with collared shirts and low stacked heels that were comfortable enough to tromp all around the hospital (which turned out to be necessary at times).

Oh, and I would say that collared shirts tend to look more formal and dressy than shells, so I would choose them, especially if you go with a pantsuit. ITO jewelry, I'd go sparinlgy and conservative. Pearls are always good in interview situations and stud earrings as opposed to some dangly thing or hoops.

Ultimately, the goal is to look nice but to be as comfortable as possible in your own skin. If you feel good, this will make you less nervous and more at ease, and that should come across in the interview. People want to learn more about you and how you will fit into your team. As long as you don't stand out negatively in terms of your attire or looks (i.e. your clothes are wrinkly or poorly taken care of, you are wearing loud or inappropriate makeup), you'll be alright.

Find a suit you feel good in... very important. You are going to be wearing it A LOT, and if you don't feel comfortable or attractive in it... then you won't be your best in your interviews. I went with a more modern cut pinstripe skirt suit (BCBG) that I really felt good in. I didn't like the dowdy suits I found in all the department stores. I had a few shell shirts that I rotated - also important to have a few shirts, since you may have a few interviews in a row without a dry cleaner in between. My shirts were white, light blue and beige. I alternated black and nude hose. Sometimes my hair was up, sometimes it was down.

Honestly, if you look neat and well put together and can walk in looking confident, then I don't think it really matters what the exact makeup of your outfit is... unless you wear a hunter green suit... then your an automatic in ;)

Certain programs and fields *are* more conservative than others but unless you're planning on wearing a mini with thigh-high boots, you really can't go wrong with a suit. Many female surgical candidates wore trouser suits and looked wonderful - I doubt it had any negative impact (although skirt suits are said to be more conservative).

As others have noted, as long as you are neat, clean and professionally dressed you will be fine...don't stress about it too much. We don't notice specifics unless they are wildly inappropriate.

I applied to EM last year and wore a skirt suit, but I would say the majority of women wore pant suits. As others have said, the most important thing is to look neat and put together. Remember that interviews often involve an extensive tour and it is important to be comfortable as well as look professional. That is doubly true when it comes to shoes.

If you want the job wear soemthing skanky -its what most PD's are looking for- but only do it if you have the body for it- otherwise it can backfire

Anyone found a skirt for a suit without a slit in it? Is this even a big deal at all? And how about the length of the skirt- what is appropriate?

Skirt length must be over the knee IMHO - this allows you to keep yourself covered when seated. A back slit or kick pleat is no big deal and shouldn't be hard to find.Most suit skirts have them to allow you a little more freedom of movement. A skirt with a high side slit or front one wouldn't be appropriate.

If I were a PD, I would want women to wear cleavage enhancing tops and short skirts with high boots, and if it's warm out, changing into a nice bikini wouldn't hurt either.

Sam (not really a chauvenist)

Kimberli- Would a skirt with a side slit be okay if it is of normal length(not too high)?

the last time and only time i've ever purchased a suit was over 5 years ago and was a very painful process. anyone know of where i can get a decent priced suit in a size petite 2 ???

Warning to the Females:

be careful when wearing slinky tops that caress every curve, esp when wearing a non-padded bra b/c even the slightest bit of a nipple erection will be displayed...and believe me it is quite distracting when talking with a female with NHO

Good luck!

Good advice on here... the only thing I can think to add is to have a nice, professional winter coat ready for your trip. Even the Deep South has the potential to get cold in the winter- I interviewed in New Orleans on probably one of the 3 days during the year when the high was below freezing. It can be a LONG outdoor walking tour wearing just a suit/blazer in 20 degree weather.

i had a similar problem as you, i'm a size 0-2 myself so its tough to find the right clothes. i bought my suit from petite sophisticate...its nice b/c you can mix and match the top/skirt/pants. i got an awesome deal b/c i opened up a credit card there. another good place would be banana republic, my fave!

good luck!

>the last time and only time i've ever purchased a suit was over >5 years ago and was a very painful process. anyone know of >where i can get a decent priced suit in a size petite 2 ???

Wear a suit with PANTS!!!

I just so happened to find a good deal on a suit a few years prior that had both pants and a skirt. I started out wearing the skirt. After slogging through an early snowstorm in Balitmore dragging my suitcase (flew out right after) wearing a skirt and the kind of shoes that go with a skirt (and, by definition, uncomfortable) and then snagging my hose on the rough wooden edges of the chairs in the grand rounds auditorium, then spending the rest of the day trying to hide the hole, I became a convert to pants.

A nice pants suit looks professional and is much more fuss free. Plus you can wear comfortable shoes with pants. Your day will often include grand rounds (always in an old auditorium with very close together movie theater style seats, often very old and made of wood at least in part), walking to various offices for interviews and then a tour of the hospital in which you will use the stairs rather than the elevator.

It was interesting to note the trend as the season progressed, more and more women switched from skirt to pants. I was so glad I had done this when I interviewed several places in New England during a cold spell so cold that Boston Harbor froze over. On my first interview where there were multiple women, only one wore pants. On my last interview with multiple women, only one wore a skirt (not me!). On interviews where I was the only female, I wound up being glad I wasn't wearing a skirt. I felt like I looked like I fit in better with the group.

any recommendations on shoes with a skirt suit? is any style okay?

thanks for all of your replies.

not to be overwhelmingly nit-picky, but about the blouse... what exactly is a shell? is a nice wool or cashmere turtleneck appropriate? how low is too low-cut? if i were to wear a collared shirt, could i leave the top button undone, or should it be buttoned all the way up?

The suit stuff I have under control, but what are you ladies wearing to the night before events? I've heard of a range of outfits from suits to business casual

The night before is always tough. It really depends of the invitation - most times they specify "casual", but sometimes they don't give any details. It's always better to be overdressed rather than underdressed. I had a suit with coloured turtleneck sweater rather than a blouse. When i arrived and discovered that everyone else was more casual, i simply took my suit coat off and i was instantly more casual.

You could also call and ask - usually there is a secretary or someone that could tell you.

I know at my program, we take the interviewees out to a local irish pub, and have an open bar for a few hours. It is definitely casual, but there are always a few people that show up in suits every year!

For the interview, do you think mary jane pumps ar eokay (with a single strap across the front of the shoe)?

Good advice on here about skirt vs. trousers, but I have a question. Anyone know what color suits to stay away from? Should you only wear black? Is pinstripe okay? Charcoal grey? I have a charcoal grey suit from medical school interviews, but I actually came a cross really nice skirt (and pant) suits at j.crew and Banana Republic (they have awesome suits I must add!). One suit I have my eye on in particular is a dark chocolate brown (they call it chestnut). I also have a couple of nice collared shirts to go with it. My question is, is this color too casual/definate no-no?

Attachments

• jcrew suit.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 578
I know too that suit shopping can be a pain... but I highly recommend United Colors of Benetton for suits. They usually have a great selection, fit well, and definitely don't look cheap. Some are pricy but they all tend to go on sale when they have their season sales. I have bought several classic suits on sale and have yet to find others for a similar price and look..

Originally posted by Kiki2004
Good advice on here about skirt vs. trousers, but I have a question. Anyone know what color suits to stay away from? Should you only wear black? Is pinstripe okay? Charcoal grey? I have a charcoal grey suit from medical school interviews, but I actually came a cross really nice skirt (and pant) suits at j.crew and Banana Republic (they have awesome suits I must add!). One suit I have my eye on in particular is a dark chocolate brown (they call it chestnut). I also have a couple of nice collared shirts to go with it. My question is, is this color too casual/definate no-no?

I have heard that the standard is navy or black but I have suits in olive, beige, and gray as well. Whenever I wore those colors (especially beige and olive) I was always complemented on them for not being the boring ol' standard (I did well on interviews as well). If it is a conservative color it should be fine - and brown is fine.

Thanks, mdchick-

I actually went with the brown and bought the matching jacket and pants. It looks really nice, but just to suppress my fears, I bought a black one as well. I figure I'll decide later down the interview trail what suit I want to wear depending on what program I interview at, i.e., more laid back vs. academic "prestigious". Plus, I heard for Pediatric residency interviews, there tends to be a more laid back feel anyway...as opposed to Surgery or OB/GYN...

I agree with what you said about standing out and not being the boring ol' standard suit. That's kinda what I'm hoping for. Otherwise, you'll look like everyone else!

male opinion. just went to first interview last week and was able to check out the ladies. most wore black. the one person who really stood out (in a positive way) wore a solid navy blue skirt suit. surprisingly, only one out of the seven females wore blue. one wore a light brown skirt suit and couldn't pull it off imo. another wore a solid gray flannel pant suit and looked great. i did not like the pant cuffs on the women. for some reason, cuffs don't look right on flared pants. summary: best look was navy blue skirt suit, white blouse, whitish hose and black suede shoes w/medium height block heels (cool). a scarf around the neck was worn. attractive yet professional

Originally posted by grouptherapy
male opinion. just went to first interview last week and was able to check out the ladies. most wore black. the one person who really stood out (in a positive way) wore a solid navy blue skirt suit. surprisingly, only one out of the seven females wore blue. one wore a light brown skirt suit and couldn't pull it off imo. another wore a solid gray flannel pant suit and looked great. i did not like the pant cuffs on the women. for some reason, cuffs don't look right on flared pants. summary: best look was navy blue skirt suit, white blouse, whitish hose and black suede shoes w/medium height block heels (cool). a scarf around the neck was worn. attractive yet professional

You spent way too much time lookign at the other applicants... :)

Q, DO

hehe. well, the doods kept on pimping me on info on how my interview with an attending went (i went first) and this got boring after awhile so i decided to sit with the ladies. i decided to break the ice with a hunny by saying "you look great in that suit..." one thing led to another and interview attire became the topic of conversation.

quinn, did you wear a skirt or pants to your interviews?:D

For the pettites out there I would recommend either Ann Taylor or Banana Republic for great looking suits that are contemporary but not terribly expensive.

Also, I've got to chime in about the pants...you'll be touring hospitals and walking around facilities and you should be comfortable. Pants are less revealing when you're sitting in cramped offices. Last year I saw tons of runs and tugging on hemlines! A nice pair of boots will go great with trousers and eliminates nylons alltogether.

A shell is usually a dressish shirt without any colar or any buttons on the front, they're typically short sleved or sleevless and can be made out of silk, cotton, or a knit fabric. I would shy away from sleevless things in case a room gets too hot but you're afraid to take off your jacket.

What are women carrying? purses? or just a portfolio?

Why would anyone choose a skirt over pants?? Unless you are interviewing in Southern Cali its probably going to be cold as heck.. You will get a run in your stocking(murphys law). I would think pants would be the safe choice b/c you are warm, comfortable, no worries about it being too short, you can pick something up with confidence if you drop it, and you can still look great

i was very conflicted about this issue and finally just went with a pants suit. i got it from benetton, it is VERY comfortable, and it still feels very feminine. i figure that shifting around in a skirt and runs in my hose are the last things i need to worry about on an interview.

the downside is that now that i just shelled out >$300 on the whole thing (suit + collared shirt) i have barely enough to cover airfare to the interviews themselves.

i was very conflicted about this issue and finally just went with a pants suit. i got it from benetton, it is VERY comfortable, and it still feels very feminine. i figure that shifting around in a skirt and runs in my hose are the last things i need to worry about on an interview.

the downside is that now that i just shelled out >$300 on the whole thing (suit + collared shirt) i have barely enough to cover airfare to the interviews themselves.

Hey Ladies,
For those of who plan to wear collard shirts, do you wear the collar out over your jacket or iniside the jacket?? Also do you think it would be okay to wear a loafer instead of heals/pumps??

ok i'm confused people.

do you really think that whether or not you wear a pant or a skirt is going to make a difference in whether you get admitted into the program?

I speaking generally--for residency admissions or medical school admissions--- i remember when i was in the med school interview process, these same type of discussions came up --"wear a skirt--it's conservative---don't take chances---it's too important--bla, bla, bla". Because of numerous advice similar to the above, I ended up wearing a skirt--but really, I don't think it had .00001% to do with my admissions descision.

But do you really feel that this plays into the admission descision? I mean, what was on paper got you the interview, and now i assume what you speak and how you say it will determine the rest.

If you showed up dressed totally wacko--i can see how that would play a role--but if as long as you are neat and clean and "formal," does the rest really make a difference?

Also, on these boards, it seems that everybody makes fun of "hunter green suits." I honestly don't see what difference it makes. Hunter green seems to me to be formal.

But that leads me to my question: What exactly is a formal blouse for women? My mom doesn't really know because she grew up in another country, and I have no clue---as far as blouses go. I've tried to ask different people and I always get a different answer, and when I try to see what others are wearing --I'm even more confused.

For example, someone mentioned turtlenecks earlier in this thread. So are solid color turtlenecks considered "formal."

For my interviews and other "formal" events, I wear a blouse with a collar, but lots of people don't.

Does "formal" have to do with the material, style, or what?

I'm afraid by posting this message I'm making myself look like a total knownothing, but I guess that must be because I really am one:) .

Would some more fashion educated member shed some light for me into this issue?
:clap:

I just want to vent that one of America's finest (a TSA officer) took my $150 interview shoes from me, x-rayed them, and returned them to me with the strap completely ripped off of one of them (my shoes are a variation of mary janes). When I pointed out that they had ruined my shoes, they first denied it and then said that they weren't responsible for any damages they cause to passenger's belongings in the interest of safety.

I fly out Thurs. for my next interview so tomorrow I get to go shoe shopping. Again.

Sorry, Asher. That really sucks :(

Originally posted by doc_strange2001
Why would anyone choose a skirt over pants??

I did. Because I look damn sexy in a skirt, that's why. ;)

(But seriously, I think they're more comfortable. Maybe I'm the only one?)

Asher- Sorry to hear that. And yes, these really are "America's finest..." so fine that they work the jobs they do rather than operate on someone's brain.

Applicant- There's no need to be confused over matters like fashion. You're right in that it doesn't make as large an impact on your candidacy as it seems to appear sometimes. Interview is largely to weed out the weirdos, psychos, and poor conversationalists. But it is nice to look a little fashionable and well-groomed in order to complete your overall presentation to the interview committee. Kinda like adding a bow on a present. Also, I have nothing against hunter green... I just don't think that suits look very appealing in that color. ;)